Red Sox add Ryan Lavarnway, Quintin Berry, Rubby De La Rosa, Brandon Snyder as call-ups; Daniel Bard designated for assignment
|09.01.13 at 9:43 am ET|
Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo said on WEEI on Sunday morning that the Red Sox have added outfielder Quintin Berry, catcher Ryan Lavarnway, right-hander Rubby De La Rosa and third baseman Brandon Snyder (the latter of whom has been activated off the disabled list). An industry source said that, to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Berry, the Red Sox have designated Daniel Bard for assignment.
Berry, acquired last week from the Royals in exchange for right-hander Clayton Mortensen, has hit just .191 with a .309 OBP and .257 slugging mark for three Triple-A teams this year (the affiliates of the Tigers, Royals and most recently, the Red Sox), will serve as a pinch-runner and defensive replacement off the bench. The 28-year-old is 30-for-34 in stolen base attempts in the minors this year, and he was 21-for-21 in the big leagues in that role for the Tigers last year.
Lavarnway was hitting .250/.346/.350 in 50 games for the PawSox this year. In the big leagues, he’s hitting .283/.323/.383 in 19 games. He gives the Sox a third catcher, offering protection both in case of injury and permitting the Sox in-game flexibility to pinch-hit or pinch-run for any of their catchers (Jarrod Saltalamacchia or David Ross) without leaving themselves in a position of vulnerability.
De La Rosa is in his third stint in the big leagues this year. In five games in the majors, he has a 4.76 ERA with three strikeouts and one walk in 5 2/3 innings. In 24 minor league games, the 24-year-old has a 4.26 ERA with 8.5 strikeouts and 5.4 walks per nine innings. Since being sent down from the Red Sox and working out of the PawSox bullpen in late-August, De La Rosa has allowed two runs in 3 2/3 innings with six walks and two strikeouts in four appearances.
Snyder, 26, is hitting .209/.227/.419 in 21 big league games this year. He’s been on the disabled list since August 8 due to a sore elbow.
Bard, who pitched on Saturday with Lowell (his first appearance outside the Gulf Coast League since May 15), worked a scoreless inning in which he managed to prevent anyone from crossing the plate despite walking four batters. A pickoff at third by catcher Jake Romanski, coupled with a pair of strikeouts (one swinging, one looking), allowed Bard to strand the bases loaded despite the four walks and a wild pitch. But he now has 27 walks and nine strikeouts in 15 1/3 innings in the minors this year, and even at a time when he has an option remaining, it had become clear that the most sensible path for the Red Sox and perhaps for Bard himself was to take him off the major league roster so that he can undertake the necessary work to recreate a foundation upon which he can move his career forward.
If he goes unclaimed, then perhaps that will happen in the Red Sox organization. However, because Bard has an option left, and because he is just two years removed from a three-year run as one of the most dominant relievers in the game, the Red Sox removed him from the 40-man roster with eyes wide open about the possibility that someone might take a flyer on him (either through a waiver claim or in a trade for little return), particularly given how quickly he left behind a year of disastrous command in 2007 to emerge as a dominant bullpen option who was nearing big league readiness in 2008.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot
- Podcast Ep. #108: 2016 Rankings Special
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Kopech continues to dominate
- October Notes: Fall ball and front office changes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada sidelined by thumb sprain
- Help Wanted: Web Editors & Social Media Specialists