Red Sox lineup: Mike Carp returns; Xander Bogaerts starts at third
|09.01.13 at 10:05 am ET|
Three days after being scratched from the lineup with a sore shoulder, Mike Carp is back in. Manager John Farrell said Carp would’ve been available off the bench on Saturday, but the Red Sox had no need to call on him. He’s batting sixth and playing first, as Mike Napoli will get a day off.
Will Middlebrooks also gets a day off, one day after an 0-for-4 showing. Xander Bogaerts shifts to third in his absence, with Stephen Drew returning to the lineup at shortstop. With right-hander Andre Rienzo getting the start for Chicago, Daniel Nava gets the start in left over Jonny Gomes.
Felix Doubront gets the start for the Red Sox, and he’ll try to make it 12 straight games of Boston holding its opponent to three runs or fewer. For full batter vs. starting pitcher matchups, click here.
RED SOX LINEUP
David Ortiz DH
Daniel Nava LF
Mike Carp 1B
Stephen Drew SS
Xander Bogaerts 3B
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston