Red Sox lineup: Mike Carp returns; Xander Bogaerts starts at third
|09.01.13 at 10:05 am ET|
Three days after being scratched from the lineup with a sore shoulder, Mike Carp is back in. Manager John Farrell said Carp would’ve been available off the bench on Saturday, but the Red Sox had no need to call on him. He’s batting sixth and playing first, as Mike Napoli will get a day off.
Will Middlebrooks also gets a day off, one day after an 0-for-4 showing. Xander Bogaerts shifts to third in his absence, with Stephen Drew returning to the lineup at shortstop. With right-hander Andre Rienzo getting the start for Chicago, Daniel Nava gets the start in left over Jonny Gomes.
Felix Doubront gets the start for the Red Sox, and he’ll try to make it 12 straight games of Boston holding its opponent to three runs or fewer. For full batter vs. starting pitcher matchups, click here.
RED SOX LINEUP
David Ortiz DH
Daniel Nava LF
Mike Carp 1B
Stephen Drew SS
Xander Bogaerts 3B
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates