Red Sox lineup: Mike Carp returns; Xander Bogaerts starts at third
|09.01.13 at 10:05 am ET|
Three days after being scratched from the lineup with a sore shoulder, Mike Carp is back in. Manager John Farrell said Carp would’ve been available off the bench on Saturday, but the Red Sox had no need to call on him. He’s batting sixth and playing first, as Mike Napoli will get a day off.
Will Middlebrooks also gets a day off, one day after an 0-for-4 showing. Xander Bogaerts shifts to third in his absence, with Stephen Drew returning to the lineup at shortstop. With right-hander Andre Rienzo getting the start for Chicago, Daniel Nava gets the start in left over Jonny Gomes.
Felix Doubront gets the start for the Red Sox, and he’ll try to make it 12 straight games of Boston holding its opponent to three runs or fewer. For full batter vs. starting pitcher matchups, click here.
RED SOX LINEUP
David Ortiz DH
Daniel Nava LF
Mike Carp 1B
Stephen Drew SS
Xander Bogaerts 3B
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester