Shane Victorino, Jacoby Ellsbury banged up, but both expected to play Monday
|09.01.13 at 6:24 pm ET|
Victorino re-aggravated a left hip contusion when he slid into first base in the fourth inning. He stayed in the game, but was clearly in pain during his next at bat in the sixth. After grounding out to third, he slammed his helmet on the ground and left the game after a brief conversation with Farrell and a trainer.
“When he aggravates it, it begins to kind of shut some things down on him,” Farrell said. “He doesn’t feel the explosiveness. So as a precaution, we got him out of there.”
Farrell took Ellsbury out before the start of the ninth due to some swelling in Ellsbury’s hand. Farrell said Ellsbury got jammed in a couple at bats, which aggravated the inside of his thumb.
“Jacoby’s got a little swelling in that hand. We felt like it might affect his throws, so we just got him off,” Farrell said.
Farrell said both Victorino and Ellsbury will be evaluated in the morning, but added that he doesn’t expect either to miss any time.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe