Shane Victorino, Jacoby Ellsbury banged up, but both expected to play Monday
|09.01.13 at 6:24 pm ET|
Victorino re-aggravated a left hip contusion when he slid into first base in the fourth inning. He stayed in the game, but was clearly in pain during his next at bat in the sixth. After grounding out to third, he slammed his helmet on the ground and left the game after a brief conversation with Farrell and a trainer.
“When he aggravates it, it begins to kind of shut some things down on him,” Farrell said. “He doesn’t feel the explosiveness. So as a precaution, we got him out of there.”
Farrell took Ellsbury out before the start of the ninth due to some swelling in Ellsbury’s hand. Farrell said Ellsbury got jammed in a couple at bats, which aggravated the inside of his thumb.
“Jacoby’s got a little swelling in that hand. We felt like it might affect his throws, so we just got him off,” Farrell said.
Farrell said both Victorino and Ellsbury will be evaluated in the morning, but added that he doesn’t expect either to miss any time.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis