Shane Victorino, Jacoby Ellsbury banged up, but both expected to play Monday
|09.01.13 at 6:24 pm ET|
Victorino re-aggravated a left hip contusion when he slid into first base in the fourth inning. He stayed in the game, but was clearly in pain during his next at bat in the sixth. After grounding out to third, he slammed his helmet on the ground and left the game after a brief conversation with Farrell and a trainer.
“When he aggravates it, it begins to kind of shut some things down on him,” Farrell said. “He doesn’t feel the explosiveness. So as a precaution, we got him out of there.”
Farrell took Ellsbury out before the start of the ninth due to some swelling in Ellsbury’s hand. Farrell said Ellsbury got jammed in a couple at bats, which aggravated the inside of his thumb.
“Jacoby’s got a little swelling in that hand. We felt like it might affect his throws, so we just got him off,” Farrell said.
Farrell said both Victorino and Ellsbury will be evaluated in the morning, but added that he doesn’t expect either to miss any time.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies