Monday’s Red Sox-Tigers matchups: John Lackey vs. Doug Fister
|09.02.13 at 8:50 am ET|
With a record of 80-57, second amongst all American League teams (Boston is first with a 82-56 record), the Tigers might be the chief obstacle blocking the Red Sox from an AL pennant in October, as Detroit tries to make it to the World Series for the second time in three seasons.
Monday’s game also marks the return of former Red Sox shortstop Jose Iglesias, who was traded on July 30 in a three-team, seven-player deal that sent White Sox pitcher Jake Peavy to Boston. In 27 games with Detroit, the defensive phenom has hit .294 with a .348 on-base percentage while continuing his stellar play at short.
The recent stretch of poor run support and bad luck for Lackey continued during his latest start on Wednesday, as Lackey only received one run of support and was on the hook to be the losing pitcher despite only allowing three runs over 7 1/3 innings.
Luckily for Lackey, Boston would win the game by a score of 4-3 after a pinch-hit RBI single from Mike Carp gave the Sox the lead in the bottom of the eighth inning.
“Sure, I would like to have more wins, but that’s not the goal,” Lackey said after the game. “The goal is for the team to win games, and tonight was a great win for us.”
While he may not have the best record at 8-11 on the year, Lackey has been spectacular over the last month: In his last three starts, the righty has only allowed six earned runs over 22 innings of work.
In his last start against the Tigers, on June 20, Lackey was effective, limiting the potent Tigers lineup to just two runs over seven innings of work. However, Lackey did not pick up a win, as Detroit shortstop Jhonny Peralta hit a two-run homer off of Andrew Bailey in the ninth inning to give the Tigers a 4-3 victory.
In his career against the Tigers, Lackey is 6-2 with a 3.87 ERA and a 1.35 WHIP.
Traded from the Mariners to the Tigers on July 30, 2011, Fister (11-7, 3.81 ERA, 1.30 WHIP) has been one of the most consistent starters in the Tigers rotation over the last 2 1/2 seasons.
Fister stumbled in his last start, giving up seven runs in just five innings of work against the A’s on Wednesday. In his career against the Red Sox, Fister has struggled, compiling a 1-4 record with a 5.20 ERA in seven career starts.
Tigers vs. Lackey (RHP)
Torii Hunter (54 plate appearances): .245 BA/.315 OBP/.408 SLG, 2 home runs, 10 strikeouts
Victor Martinez (28): .417/.500/.458, 10 hits, 3 walks
Miguel Cabrera (13): .333/.385/.667, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Omar Infante (12): .250/.250/.417, 2 doubles, 6 strikeout
Ramon Santiago (9): .222/.222/.556, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Alex Avila (6): .000/.333/.000, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Prince Fielder (6): .500/.500/.667, 1 double, 1 RBI
Brayan Pena (6): .500./.500/.667, 1 double
Austin Jackson (4): .250/.250/.250, 2 strikeouts
Andy Dirks (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Don Kelly (3): .667/.667/.667, 2 singles
Matt Tuiasosopo (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Jose Iglesias and Hernan Perez have not faced Lackey.
Red Sox vs. Fister (RHP)
David Ortiz (19 plate appearances): .294 BA/.368 OBP/.412 SLG, 2 doubles, 5 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (11): .300/.364/.500, 2 doubles, 2 RBI
Dustin Pedroia (11): .300/.364/.300, 2 doubles, 1 walk
Mike Napoli (10): .200/.200/.200, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (8): .500/.625/.833, 2 RBIs, 2 walks
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (8): .625/.625/1.250, 2 doubles, 1 home run
Jonny Gomes (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 RBI
Will Middlebrooks (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Shane Victorino (3): 1.000/1.000/2.000, 3 hits, 1 home run, 3 RBIs
Mike Carp (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Stephen Drew (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 single
Xander Bogaerts and David Ross have not faced Fister.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller