Red Sox lineup: Jacoby Ellsbury, Jarrod Saltalamacchia sit against Max Scherzer
|09.03.13 at 3:25 pm ET|
Two days after he left a game early due to swelling in his hand related to jamming his thumb, Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury is out of the lineup against Tigers starter and Cy Young candidate Max Scherzer. Switch-hitter Jarrod Saltalamacchia is likewise out of the lineup against Scherzer, with David Ross in the lineup against the American League’s All-Star starting pitcher this year.
That the Sox have pressed both Jonny Gomes (left field) and Ross (as catcher) into the lineup would seem a less-than ideal development, given that Scherzer has held right-handed hitters to a .154/.209/.274 line en route to his 19-1 record and 2.90 ERA. Meanwhile, Ellsbury — who had started each of the last 37 Red Sox games, and who has played in 129 of the team’s 139 contests entering Tuesday — is a career 5-for-9 with a homer and three walks against Scherzer.
RED SOX LINEUP
Shane Victorino, CF
Daniel Nava, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Carp, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
Stephen Drew, SS
David Ross, C
Will Middlebrooks, 3B
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players