Cubs claim Daniel Bard off waivers
|09.04.13 at 2:14 pm ET|
Pitcher Daniel Bard, designated for assignment by the Red Sox on Sunday, was claimed by the Cubs on Wednesday. The move reunites Bard with Theo Epstein, who was the GM when the Sox selected the right-hander in the first round of the 2006 draft out of the University of North Carolina, and Jason McLeod, who was the Red Sox director of amateur scouting when the team took Bard out of UNC.
Bard, 28, has struggled since the Sox attempted to convert him to a starter at the start of the 2012 season. He returned to a relief role in the minors the past two seasons but struggled with his command.
Bard made two appearances with the Sox this season, allowing a hit, two walks and a run in one inning of work.
In 211 major league appearances, all with the Red Sox, Bard is 10-19 with five saves, a 3.67 ERA and a 1.220 WHIP.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins