David Ortiz slugs his way to 2,000 hits
|09.04.13 at 9:50 pm ET|
David Ortiz lined an RBI double to left-center field as part of an eight-run sixth inning as the slugger collected his 2,000th major league hit. The double came off Tigers reliever Al Albuquerque and put the Red Sox up 11-4.
The game stopped briefly as Ortiz stood at second base and tipped his helmet to the crowd, which gave him a standing ovation for nearly a minute. The Fenway sound system marked the occasion with dramatic music as the crowd paid tribute.
Just two innings early, he clubbed his 25th homer of the season, a long solo blast off Tigers starter Rick Porcello to the seats over the Red Sox bullpen, leaving him one hit shy of the milestone. The home run gave him 426 in his career, tying him with Billy Williams for 47th on the all-time list.
Ortiz now has eight hits in his last 20 at-bats since snapping an 0-for-23 slump on Friday night against the White Sox.
Ortiz is the 14th player to record his 2,000th career hit as a member of the Red Sox, along with Bobby Veach (1924), Jimmie Foxx (1938), Joe Cronin (1940), Bob Johnson (1945), Bobby Doerr (1951), Ted Williams (1955), Carl Yastrzemski (1973), Bill Buckner (1984), Jim Rice (1986), Don Baylor (1987), Dwight Evans (1988), Wade Boggs (1992), and Manny Ramirez (2006).
Then in the seventh, as he received a standing ovation coming to the plate, Ortiz crushed his second homer of the night into the stands above the Red Sox bullpen again, giving him two homers, three hits and four RBIs on the night. As he rounded the bases, the Fenway speakers blared the theme from “2001-A Space Odyssey” in honor of his 2,001st career hit.
Ortiz came out to a curtain call after entering the dugout.
The homer also marked his 41st career multi-homer game and his 39th with the Red Sox, extending his franchise record.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.