David Ortiz slugs his way to 2,000 hits
|09.04.13 at 9:50 pm ET|
David Ortiz lined an RBI double to left-center field as part of an eight-run sixth inning as the slugger collected his 2,000th major league hit. The double came off Tigers reliever Al Albuquerque and put the Red Sox up 11-4.
The game stopped briefly as Ortiz stood at second base and tipped his helmet to the crowd, which gave him a standing ovation for nearly a minute. The Fenway sound system marked the occasion with dramatic music as the crowd paid tribute.
Just two innings early, he clubbed his 25th homer of the season, a long solo blast off Tigers starter Rick Porcello to the seats over the Red Sox bullpen, leaving him one hit shy of the milestone. The home run gave him 426 in his career, tying him with Billy Williams for 47th on the all-time list.
Ortiz now has eight hits in his last 20 at-bats since snapping an 0-for-23 slump on Friday night against the White Sox.
Ortiz is the 14th player to record his 2,000th career hit as a member of the Red Sox, along with Bobby Veach (1924), Jimmie Foxx (1938), Joe Cronin (1940), Bob Johnson (1945), Bobby Doerr (1951), Ted Williams (1955), Carl Yastrzemski (1973), Bill Buckner (1984), Jim Rice (1986), Don Baylor (1987), Dwight Evans (1988), Wade Boggs (1992), and Manny Ramirez (2006).
Then in the seventh, as he received a standing ovation coming to the plate, Ortiz crushed his second homer of the night into the stands above the Red Sox bullpen again, giving him two homers, three hits and four RBIs on the night. As he rounded the bases, the Fenway speakers blared the theme from “2001-A Space Odyssey” in honor of his 2,001st career hit.
Ortiz came out to a curtain call after entering the dugout.
The homer also marked his 41st career multi-homer game and his 39th with the Red Sox, extending his franchise record.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins