Clay Buchholz ‘absolutely’ ready to return to Red Sox rotation
|09.05.13 at 11:40 pm ET|
‘Absolutely,’ the right-hander proclaimed after throwing 3 2/3 innings for Triple-A Pawtucket on Thursday night. He surrendered a pair of runs on four hits and two walks, but struck out five batters in the outing, commanding all four of his pitches in the process.
It remains unclear exactly when Buchholz will make his next start, but he will join the Red Sox on Saturday in New York. In his second start with the PawSox, Buchholz had much better command of his arsenal and felt that he could have continued pitching. Fatigue is not a factor, and there is no discomfort or pain.
‘I know that if I go out there and I’m not me then I’m not helping the team win,’ Buchholz said of the pain and inflammation that’s kept him off the field for nearly three months. ‘I feel like I’m past that now, and these last two outings have sort of proven that.’
Despite the chilly upper-50s weather in Rochester, Buchholz maintained low-90s velocity, and had strong feel for his curveball and change-up. Buchholz was a little disappointed with his two-seam fastball, particularly with how he threw it to his glove side, but brushed the issue off as a normal, everyday pitching struggle and isn’t concerned about it going forward.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Reports: Red Sox receive 1-year IFA ban, 5 players made free agents
- Scouting Scratch: Aaron Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Monge carries Salem, Butler lifts Pawtucket
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game