Clay Buchholz ‘absolutely’ ready to return to Red Sox rotation
|09.05.13 at 11:40 pm ET|
‘Absolutely,’ the right-hander proclaimed after throwing 3 2/3 innings for Triple-A Pawtucket on Thursday night. He surrendered a pair of runs on four hits and two walks, but struck out five batters in the outing, commanding all four of his pitches in the process.
It remains unclear exactly when Buchholz will make his next start, but he will join the Red Sox on Saturday in New York. In his second start with the PawSox, Buchholz had much better command of his arsenal and felt that he could have continued pitching. Fatigue is not a factor, and there is no discomfort or pain.
‘I know that if I go out there and I’m not me then I’m not helping the team win,’ Buchholz said of the pain and inflammation that’s kept him off the field for nearly three months. ‘I feel like I’m past that now, and these last two outings have sort of proven that.’
Despite the chilly upper-50s weather in Rochester, Buchholz maintained low-90s velocity, and had strong feel for his curveball and change-up. Buchholz was a little disappointed with his two-seam fastball, particularly with how he threw it to his glove side, but brushed the issue off as a normal, everyday pitching struggle and isn’t concerned about it going forward.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers