Red Sox lineup: With Jarrod Saltalamacchia still out, Ryan Lavarnway gets call
|09.05.13 at 3:11 pm ET|
NEW YORK — Ryan Lavarnway will get the start at catcher for the Red Sox Thursday night in their series-opener against the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. Regular starting backstop Jarrod Saltalamacchia continues to nurse a sore back, and as expected, he will sit out a third straight game. Lavarnway, meanwhile, came off the bench late in Wednesday’s 20-4 shellacking of the Tigers to go 2-for-2 with his first big league home run of the 2013 season.
Against Yankees starter Ivan Nova, Daniel Nava will get the call to hit in the No. 5 spot. The left fielder enters the game with the second-most at-bats of any Red Sox in the batting order’s position (behind Mike Napoli), hitting .345 with a .992 OPS while hitting fifth.
Here is the Red Sox lineup with Jake Peavy on the mound for the Red Sox:
David Ortiz DH
Daniel Nava LF
Mike Napoli 1B
Stephen Drew SS
Ryan Lavarnway C
Will Middlebrooks 3B
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption
- Support SoxProspects in 2017