Red Sox lineup: With Jarrod Saltalamacchia still out, Ryan Lavarnway gets call
|09.05.13 at 3:11 pm ET|
NEW YORK — Ryan Lavarnway will get the start at catcher for the Red Sox Thursday night in their series-opener against the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. Regular starting backstop Jarrod Saltalamacchia continues to nurse a sore back, and as expected, he will sit out a third straight game. Lavarnway, meanwhile, came off the bench late in Wednesday’s 20-4 shellacking of the Tigers to go 2-for-2 with his first big league home run of the 2013 season.
Against Yankees starter Ivan Nova, Daniel Nava will get the call to hit in the No. 5 spot. The left fielder enters the game with the second-most at-bats of any Red Sox in the batting order’s position (behind Mike Napoli), hitting .345 with a .992 OPS while hitting fifth.
Here is the Red Sox lineup with Jake Peavy on the mound for the Red Sox:
David Ortiz DH
Daniel Nava LF
Mike Napoli 1B
Stephen Drew SS
Ryan Lavarnway C
Will Middlebrooks 3B
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot