Red Sox lineup: With Jarrod Saltalamacchia still out, Ryan Lavarnway gets call
|09.05.13 at 3:11 pm ET|
NEW YORK — Ryan Lavarnway will get the start at catcher for the Red Sox Thursday night in their series-opener against the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. Regular starting backstop Jarrod Saltalamacchia continues to nurse a sore back, and as expected, he will sit out a third straight game. Lavarnway, meanwhile, came off the bench late in Wednesday’s 20-4 shellacking of the Tigers to go 2-for-2 with his first big league home run of the 2013 season.
Against Yankees starter Ivan Nova, Daniel Nava will get the call to hit in the No. 5 spot. The left fielder enters the game with the second-most at-bats of any Red Sox in the batting order’s position (behind Mike Napoli), hitting .345 with a .992 OPS while hitting fifth.
Here is the Red Sox lineup with Jake Peavy on the mound for the Red Sox:
David Ortiz DH
Daniel Nava LF
Mike Napoli 1B
Stephen Drew SS
Ryan Lavarnway C
Will Middlebrooks 3B
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Devers, Chavis power Drive, Rei makes pro debut
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners drop one in extras, timely hitting for Sea Dogs and Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi blasts first professional home run
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts, Stankiewicz shines for Salem
- Red Sox purchase contract of pitcher Noe Ramirez
- Johnson named to International League All-Star Team
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech goes six strong, Nava returns to Pawtucket
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?