Red Sox lineup: With Jarrod Saltalamacchia still out, Ryan Lavarnway gets call
|09.05.13 at 3:11 pm ET|
NEW YORK — Ryan Lavarnway will get the start at catcher for the Red Sox Thursday night in their series-opener against the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. Regular starting backstop Jarrod Saltalamacchia continues to nurse a sore back, and as expected, he will sit out a third straight game. Lavarnway, meanwhile, came off the bench late in Wednesday’s 20-4 shellacking of the Tigers to go 2-for-2 with his first big league home run of the 2013 season.
Against Yankees starter Ivan Nova, Daniel Nava will get the call to hit in the No. 5 spot. The left fielder enters the game with the second-most at-bats of any Red Sox in the batting order’s position (behind Mike Napoli), hitting .345 with a .992 OPS while hitting fifth.
Here is the Red Sox lineup with Jake Peavy on the mound for the Red Sox:
David Ortiz DH
Daniel Nava LF
Mike Napoli 1B
Stephen Drew SS
Ryan Lavarnway C
Will Middlebrooks 3B
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.