Saturday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: John Lackey vs. David Huff
|09.07.13 at 9:20 am ET|
Despite only allowing 18 earned runs over his last 49 1/3 innings, Sox pitcher John Lackey only has a 1-4 record to show for it over those seven starts, mostly due to a lack of run support.
Despite being ranked second on the team in ERA (3.22) and innings pitched (162 1/3 innings), Lackey is tied for last on the staff with eight wins and has the most losses among Sox pitchers with 12.
Perhaps the best way to highlight the lack of run support in Lackey’s games this year is by looking at the Sox’s 20-4 win against the Tigers on Wednesday, as the 20 runs that Boston scored in those nine innings equals the same amount of runs that the team has scored in Lackey’s last nine starts.
Lackey once again was solid in his last start against the Tigers on Monday, as he held the potent Detroit lineup to just three earned runs over 7 1/3 innings. However, he was outdueled by Doug Fister, who held the Red Sox to four hits and zero runs over seven innings as the Tigers won the game by a score of 3-0, handing Lackey his 12th loss.
“This is about as good as I’ve ever pitched,” Lackey said after the game. “I’m probably better now than I ever have been.”
While he only has one win over his last nine starts, Lackey earned that victory in his last start against the Yankees on Aug. 17, as the right-hander held the Bronx Bombers to just one earned run over 6 2/3 innings in a 6-1 Boston victory. In 25 career starts against New York, Lackey is 9-10 with a 4.58 ERA.
Picked up off waivers from the Indians on May 26, Huff has appeared in six games for the Yankees out of the bullpen, compiling a 2-0 record with a 1.13 ERA over 16 innings.
Saturday will be the first start for Huff, who is replacing Phil Hughes (4-13, 4.86 ERA) in the Yankee rotation, mostly due to the fact that Hughes is 0-4 with a 6.46 ERA in August.
In 16 2/3 career innings against the Red Sox, Huff is 0-2 with a 1.62 ERA and a 1.38 WHIP.
Red Sox vs. David Huff (LHP)
Jonny Gomes (8 plate appearances): .125 BA/.125 OBP/.500 SLG, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Mike Napoli (8): .500/.625/1.000, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 2 walks
David Ortiz (8): .286/.375/.286, 1 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 walk
Jacoby Ellsbury (4): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
John McDonald (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 single
Mike Carp (2): .500/.500/1.000, 1 double, 1 RBI
Yankees vs. Lackey (RHP)
Ichiro Suzuki (114 plate appearances): .287 BA/.325 OBP/.361 SLG, 31 hits, 16 strikeouts
Derek Jeter (75): .297/.384/.438, 6 doubles, 7 RBIs
Alex Rodriguez (74): .183/.324/.483, 5 home runs, 26 strikeouts
Robinson Cano (53): .265/.321/.388, 6 doubles, 5 RBI
Vernon Wells (43): .200/.256/.275, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Alfonso Soriano (36): .152/.222/.182, 1 double, 7 strikeouts
Curtis Granderson (34): .276/.382/.552, 2 triples, 1 home run
Brett Gardner (30): .321/.367/.464, 2 doubles, 2 RBI
Lyle Overbay (30): .370/.433/.593, 6 doubles, 4 RBIS
Mark Reynolds (12): .182/.250/.182, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts
Eduardo Nunez (9): .429/.556/.714, 2 doubles, 2 walks
Chris Stewart (6): .250/.400/.500, 1 double
Austin Romine (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 single
David Adams and J.R. Murphy have not faced Lackey.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins