Saturday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: John Lackey vs. David Huff
|09.07.13 at 9:20 am ET|
Despite only allowing 18 earned runs over his last 49 1/3 innings, Sox pitcher John Lackey only has a 1-4 record to show for it over those seven starts, mostly due to a lack of run support.
Despite being ranked second on the team in ERA (3.22) and innings pitched (162 1/3 innings), Lackey is tied for last on the staff with eight wins and has the most losses among Sox pitchers with 12.
Perhaps the best way to highlight the lack of run support in Lackey’s games this year is by looking at the Sox’s 20-4 win against the Tigers on Wednesday, as the 20 runs that Boston scored in those nine innings equals the same amount of runs that the team has scored in Lackey’s last nine starts.
Lackey once again was solid in his last start against the Tigers on Monday, as he held the potent Detroit lineup to just three earned runs over 7 1/3 innings. However, he was outdueled by Doug Fister, who held the Red Sox to four hits and zero runs over seven innings as the Tigers won the game by a score of 3-0, handing Lackey his 12th loss.
“This is about as good as I’ve ever pitched,” Lackey said after the game. “I’m probably better now than I ever have been.”
While he only has one win over his last nine starts, Lackey earned that victory in his last start against the Yankees on Aug. 17, as the right-hander held the Bronx Bombers to just one earned run over 6 2/3 innings in a 6-1 Boston victory. In 25 career starts against New York, Lackey is 9-10 with a 4.58 ERA.
Picked up off waivers from the Indians on May 26, Huff has appeared in six games for the Yankees out of the bullpen, compiling a 2-0 record with a 1.13 ERA over 16 innings.
Saturday will be the first start for Huff, who is replacing Phil Hughes (4-13, 4.86 ERA) in the Yankee rotation, mostly due to the fact that Hughes is 0-4 with a 6.46 ERA in August.
In 16 2/3 career innings against the Red Sox, Huff is 0-2 with a 1.62 ERA and a 1.38 WHIP.
Red Sox vs. David Huff (LHP)
Jonny Gomes (8 plate appearances): .125 BA/.125 OBP/.500 SLG, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Mike Napoli (8): .500/.625/1.000, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 2 walks
David Ortiz (8): .286/.375/.286, 1 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 walk
Jacoby Ellsbury (4): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
John McDonald (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 single
Mike Carp (2): .500/.500/1.000, 1 double, 1 RBI
Yankees vs. Lackey (RHP)
Ichiro Suzuki (114 plate appearances): .287 BA/.325 OBP/.361 SLG, 31 hits, 16 strikeouts
Derek Jeter (75): .297/.384/.438, 6 doubles, 7 RBIs
Alex Rodriguez (74): .183/.324/.483, 5 home runs, 26 strikeouts
Robinson Cano (53): .265/.321/.388, 6 doubles, 5 RBI
Vernon Wells (43): .200/.256/.275, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Alfonso Soriano (36): .152/.222/.182, 1 double, 7 strikeouts
Curtis Granderson (34): .276/.382/.552, 2 triples, 1 home run
Brett Gardner (30): .321/.367/.464, 2 doubles, 2 RBI
Lyle Overbay (30): .370/.433/.593, 6 doubles, 4 RBIS
Mark Reynolds (12): .182/.250/.182, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts
Eduardo Nunez (9): .429/.556/.714, 2 doubles, 2 walks
Chris Stewart (6): .250/.400/.500, 1 double
Austin Romine (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 single
David Adams and J.R. Murphy have not faced Lackey.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Spring training games begin
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals