Saturday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: John Lackey vs. David Huff
|09.07.13 at 9:20 am ET|
Despite only allowing 18 earned runs over his last 49 1/3 innings, Sox pitcher John Lackey only has a 1-4 record to show for it over those seven starts, mostly due to a lack of run support.
Despite being ranked second on the team in ERA (3.22) and innings pitched (162 1/3 innings), Lackey is tied for last on the staff with eight wins and has the most losses among Sox pitchers with 12.
Perhaps the best way to highlight the lack of run support in Lackey’s games this year is by looking at the Sox’s 20-4 win against the Tigers on Wednesday, as the 20 runs that Boston scored in those nine innings equals the same amount of runs that the team has scored in Lackey’s last nine starts.
Lackey once again was solid in his last start against the Tigers on Monday, as he held the potent Detroit lineup to just three earned runs over 7 1/3 innings. However, he was outdueled by Doug Fister, who held the Red Sox to four hits and zero runs over seven innings as the Tigers won the game by a score of 3-0, handing Lackey his 12th loss.
“This is about as good as I’ve ever pitched,” Lackey said after the game. “I’m probably better now than I ever have been.”
While he only has one win over his last nine starts, Lackey earned that victory in his last start against the Yankees on Aug. 17, as the right-hander held the Bronx Bombers to just one earned run over 6 2/3 innings in a 6-1 Boston victory. In 25 career starts against New York, Lackey is 9-10 with a 4.58 ERA.
Picked up off waivers from the Indians on May 26, Huff has appeared in six games for the Yankees out of the bullpen, compiling a 2-0 record with a 1.13 ERA over 16 innings.
Saturday will be the first start for Huff, who is replacing Phil Hughes (4-13, 4.86 ERA) in the Yankee rotation, mostly due to the fact that Hughes is 0-4 with a 6.46 ERA in August.
In 16 2/3 career innings against the Red Sox, Huff is 0-2 with a 1.62 ERA and a 1.38 WHIP.
Red Sox vs. David Huff (LHP)
Jonny Gomes (8 plate appearances): .125 BA/.125 OBP/.500 SLG, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Mike Napoli (8): .500/.625/1.000, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 2 walks
David Ortiz (8): .286/.375/.286, 1 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 walk
Jacoby Ellsbury (4): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
John McDonald (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 single
Mike Carp (2): .500/.500/1.000, 1 double, 1 RBI
Yankees vs. Lackey (RHP)
Ichiro Suzuki (114 plate appearances): .287 BA/.325 OBP/.361 SLG, 31 hits, 16 strikeouts
Derek Jeter (75): .297/.384/.438, 6 doubles, 7 RBIs
Alex Rodriguez (74): .183/.324/.483, 5 home runs, 26 strikeouts
Robinson Cano (53): .265/.321/.388, 6 doubles, 5 RBI
Vernon Wells (43): .200/.256/.275, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Alfonso Soriano (36): .152/.222/.182, 1 double, 7 strikeouts
Curtis Granderson (34): .276/.382/.552, 2 triples, 1 home run
Brett Gardner (30): .321/.367/.464, 2 doubles, 2 RBI
Lyle Overbay (30): .370/.433/.593, 6 doubles, 4 RBIS
Mark Reynolds (12): .182/.250/.182, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts
Eduardo Nunez (9): .429/.556/.714, 2 doubles, 2 walks
Chris Stewart (6): .250/.400/.500, 1 double
Austin Romine (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 single
David Adams and J.R. Murphy have not faced Lackey.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe