Red Sox planning to give rest to all starters
|09.09.13 at 4:34 am ET|
NEW YORK — With Clay Buchholz ready to return to the Red Sox rotation on Tuesday, left-hander Felix Doubront — who lasted just 3 2/3 innings on Saturday — will be skipped in the next turn of the Red Sox rotation. However, the left-hander will not be alone in getting what pitching coach Juan Nieves describes as an opportunity to “recharge.” Aside from Buchholz, whom the Sox want to get four big league starts over the duration of the regular season, the team plans to provide extra down time for each of its starters between now and the end of the season, with Jon Lester, John Lackey and Jake Peavy all to join Doubront and Ryan Dempster (who gained a breather with his five-game suspension for hitting Alex Rodriguez) in getting extra time between starts at some stage of the season.
“It’s going to be interesting now down the stretch. We’re looking into, right now, how to give guys a start here, a start there, especially early in September, so we can be really fresh, hopefully, by the end of September, and it will hopefully take us into where we want to go,” said pitching coach Juan Nieves. “For a long time we were grinding through five [five starters]. We missed Buchholz a lot. I think the guys have really stepped it up.
“The luxury of having the depth we have now, it almost brings it full circle, and now we can give guys a little bit of a recharge — I don’t call it days off. Doubront, Lackey, Lester — not so much Buchholz — and Peavy, we can hopefully give them a little bit of a recharge so they can recharge their batteries, because hopefully we’re playing into deep, deep, deep October.”
For more on the state of the rotation, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Predicting Red Sox Lineup This Season
- Will the Red Sox Be Baseball's Next Dynasty?
- What Twitter's Saying About Red Sox Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training Stock Watch
- Top All-Star Candidates for Red Sox
- Breakout Performances from the First 2 Weeks of Spring Training
- Projecting Boston Red Sox's Final 25-Man Roster at the Start of Spring...
- Door open for catchers
- System Restart 2014, Pt. 2: Corner Infielders
- Owens, Cecchini among 12 players cut from Sox camp
- Red Sox re-sign reliever Michael Olmsted
- System Restart 2014, Pt. 1: Catchers
- Fort Report: Depth at pitcher and catcher touted
- Rich in pitching depth
- Fort Report: The games begin
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #53: Spring Training Mailbag
- Red Sox sign outfielder Bo Greenwell to minor league deal