Red Sox planning to give rest to all starters
|09.09.13 at 4:34 am ET|
NEW YORK — With Clay Buchholz ready to return to the Red Sox rotation on Tuesday, left-hander Felix Doubront — who lasted just 3 2/3 innings on Saturday — will be skipped in the next turn of the Red Sox rotation. However, the left-hander will not be alone in getting what pitching coach Juan Nieves describes as an opportunity to “recharge.” Aside from Buchholz, whom the Sox want to get four big league starts over the duration of the regular season, the team plans to provide extra down time for each of its starters between now and the end of the season, with Jon Lester, John Lackey and Jake Peavy all to join Doubront and Ryan Dempster (who gained a breather with his five-game suspension for hitting Alex Rodriguez) in getting extra time between starts at some stage of the season.
“It’s going to be interesting now down the stretch. We’re looking into, right now, how to give guys a start here, a start there, especially early in September, so we can be really fresh, hopefully, by the end of September, and it will hopefully take us into where we want to go,” said pitching coach Juan Nieves. “For a long time we were grinding through five [five starters]. We missed Buchholz a lot. I think the guys have really stepped it up.
“The luxury of having the depth we have now, it almost brings it full circle, and now we can give guys a little bit of a recharge — I don’t call it days off. Doubront, Lackey, Lester — not so much Buchholz — and Peavy, we can hopefully give them a little bit of a recharge so they can recharge their batteries, because hopefully we’re playing into deep, deep, deep October.”
For more on the state of the rotation, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem