Red Sox planning to give rest to all starters
|09.09.13 at 4:34 am ET|
NEW YORK — With Clay Buchholz ready to return to the Red Sox rotation on Tuesday, left-hander Felix Doubront — who lasted just 3 2/3 innings on Saturday — will be skipped in the next turn of the Red Sox rotation. However, the left-hander will not be alone in getting what pitching coach Juan Nieves describes as an opportunity to “recharge.” Aside from Buchholz, whom the Sox want to get four big league starts over the duration of the regular season, the team plans to provide extra down time for each of its starters between now and the end of the season, with Jon Lester, John Lackey and Jake Peavy all to join Doubront and Ryan Dempster (who gained a breather with his five-game suspension for hitting Alex Rodriguez) in getting extra time between starts at some stage of the season.
“It’s going to be interesting now down the stretch. We’re looking into, right now, how to give guys a start here, a start there, especially early in September, so we can be really fresh, hopefully, by the end of September, and it will hopefully take us into where we want to go,” said pitching coach Juan Nieves. “For a long time we were grinding through five [five starters]. We missed Buchholz a lot. I think the guys have really stepped it up.
“The luxury of having the depth we have now, it almost brings it full circle, and now we can give guys a little bit of a recharge — I don’t call it days off. Doubront, Lackey, Lester — not so much Buchholz — and Peavy, we can hopefully give them a little bit of a recharge so they can recharge their batteries, because hopefully we’re playing into deep, deep, deep October.”
For more on the state of the rotation, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome