Red Sox planning to give rest to all starters
|09.09.13 at 4:34 am ET|
NEW YORK — With Clay Buchholz ready to return to the Red Sox rotation on Tuesday, left-hander Felix Doubront — who lasted just 3 2/3 innings on Saturday — will be skipped in the next turn of the Red Sox rotation. However, the left-hander will not be alone in getting what pitching coach Juan Nieves describes as an opportunity to “recharge.” Aside from Buchholz, whom the Sox want to get four big league starts over the duration of the regular season, the team plans to provide extra down time for each of its starters between now and the end of the season, with Jon Lester, John Lackey and Jake Peavy all to join Doubront and Ryan Dempster (who gained a breather with his five-game suspension for hitting Alex Rodriguez) in getting extra time between starts at some stage of the season.
“It’s going to be interesting now down the stretch. We’re looking into, right now, how to give guys a start here, a start there, especially early in September, so we can be really fresh, hopefully, by the end of September, and it will hopefully take us into where we want to go,” said pitching coach Juan Nieves. “For a long time we were grinding through five [five starters]. We missed Buchholz a lot. I think the guys have really stepped it up.
“The luxury of having the depth we have now, it almost brings it full circle, and now we can give guys a little bit of a recharge — I don’t call it days off. Doubront, Lackey, Lester — not so much Buchholz — and Peavy, we can hopefully give them a little bit of a recharge so they can recharge their batteries, because hopefully we’re playing into deep, deep, deep October.”
For more on the state of the rotation, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Brian Johnson leads PawSox to shutout victory
- After slow start, Cecchini heating up at the plate, settling into left field
- Cup of Coffee: Watkins earns save after catching 14 innings
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Travis highlight tight Portland victory
- Cup of Coffee: Tejeda's big night pushes Portland past Fisher Cats
- 2015 Draft Recap: Benintendi a best-case scenario
- Podcast Ep. 81: Dropping in on the Drive, Darren Fenster interview
- Cup of Coffee: Owens solid again, Portland stages comeback