Red Sox planning to give rest to all starters
|09.09.13 at 4:34 am ET|
NEW YORK — With Clay Buchholz ready to return to the Red Sox rotation on Tuesday, left-hander Felix Doubront — who lasted just 3 2/3 innings on Saturday — will be skipped in the next turn of the Red Sox rotation. However, the left-hander will not be alone in getting what pitching coach Juan Nieves describes as an opportunity to “recharge.” Aside from Buchholz, whom the Sox want to get four big league starts over the duration of the regular season, the team plans to provide extra down time for each of its starters between now and the end of the season, with Jon Lester, John Lackey and Jake Peavy all to join Doubront and Ryan Dempster (who gained a breather with his five-game suspension for hitting Alex Rodriguez) in getting extra time between starts at some stage of the season.
“It’s going to be interesting now down the stretch. We’re looking into, right now, how to give guys a start here, a start there, especially early in September, so we can be really fresh, hopefully, by the end of September, and it will hopefully take us into where we want to go,” said pitching coach Juan Nieves. “For a long time we were grinding through five [five starters]. We missed Buchholz a lot. I think the guys have really stepped it up.
“The luxury of having the depth we have now, it almost brings it full circle, and now we can give guys a little bit of a recharge — I don’t call it days off. Doubront, Lackey, Lester — not so much Buchholz — and Peavy, we can hopefully give them a little bit of a recharge so they can recharge their batteries, because hopefully we’re playing into deep, deep, deep October.”
For more on the state of the rotation, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler