Red Sox to open 2014 season in March, at Camden Yards
|09.10.13 at 1:59 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The (tentative) 2014 Red Sox regular season schedule is out.
The Red Sox will claim their earliest Opening Day since 2008 next season, kicking off the ’14 regular season on March 31 at Camden Yards in Baltimore against the Orioles. The previous earliest opener came when the Sox started their season in Japan ’08, taking on the A’s at the Tokyo Dome.
The Red Sox’ ’14 home opener will follow the three-game set in Baltimore, with the Brewers coming to Fenway Park on April 4. Besides Milwaukee, other National League teams coming to Boston will be the Reds (May 6-7), the Braves (May 28-29) and the Cubs (June 30-July 2).
The Red Sox will visit St. Louis for the first time since ’05, taking on the Cardinals in a three-game series from Aug. 5-7. It’s a road swing that also includes a visit to Cincinnati, where the Red Sox last traveled to in ’08. The Sox also return to Pittsburgh, taking on the Pirates Sept. 16-18.
The most difficult month for the Red Sox figures to be June, when John Farrell’s team will play 19 road games in six different cities (including a West Coast swing through Oakland and Seattle).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot
- Podcast Ep. #108: 2016 Rankings Special
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Kopech continues to dominate
- October Notes: Fall ball and front office changes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada sidelined by thumb sprain
- Help Wanted: Web Editors & Social Media Specialists