Red Sox to open 2014 season in March, at Camden Yards
|09.10.13 at 1:59 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The (tentative) 2014 Red Sox regular season schedule is out.
The Red Sox will claim their earliest Opening Day since 2008 next season, kicking off the ’14 regular season on March 31 at Camden Yards in Baltimore against the Orioles. The previous earliest opener came when the Sox started their season in Japan ’08, taking on the A’s at the Tokyo Dome.
The Red Sox’ ’14 home opener will follow the three-game set in Baltimore, with the Brewers coming to Fenway Park on April 4. Besides Milwaukee, other National League teams coming to Boston will be the Reds (May 6-7), the Braves (May 28-29) and the Cubs (June 30-July 2).
The Red Sox will visit St. Louis for the first time since ’05, taking on the Cardinals in a three-game series from Aug. 5-7. It’s a road swing that also includes a visit to Cincinnati, where the Red Sox last traveled to in ’08. The Sox also return to Pittsburgh, taking on the Pirates Sept. 16-18.
The most difficult month for the Red Sox figures to be June, when John Farrell’s team will play 19 road games in six different cities (including a West Coast swing through Oakland and Seattle).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Owens lifts Portland, Guzman's big day not enough for Greenville
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw
- Cup of Coffee: Rain can't dampen Augliera, Swihart
- Weekly Notes: Trade deadline approaches
- Cup of Coffee: Light continues to shine, Portland mounts a comeback
- Red Sox acquire two pitching prospects in Peavy trade
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket pushes streak to 11 games
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson strikes out 12 in win, Betts leads PawSox in route
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens