Red Sox to open 2014 season in March, at Camden Yards
|09.10.13 at 1:59 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The (tentative) 2014 Red Sox regular season schedule is out.
The Red Sox will claim their earliest Opening Day since 2008 next season, kicking off the ’14 regular season on March 31 at Camden Yards in Baltimore against the Orioles. The previous earliest opener came when the Sox started their season in Japan ’08, taking on the A’s at the Tokyo Dome.
The Red Sox’ ’14 home opener will follow the three-game set in Baltimore, with the Brewers coming to Fenway Park on April 4. Besides Milwaukee, other National League teams coming to Boston will be the Reds (May 6-7), the Braves (May 28-29) and the Cubs (June 30-July 2).
The Red Sox will visit St. Louis for the first time since ’05, taking on the Cardinals in a three-game series from Aug. 5-7. It’s a road swing that also includes a visit to Cincinnati, where the Red Sox last traveled to in ’08. The Sox also return to Pittsburgh, taking on the Pirates Sept. 16-18.
The most difficult month for the Red Sox figures to be June, when John Farrell’s team will play 19 road games in six different cities (including a West Coast swing through Oakland and Seattle).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis shines in national TV spotlight
- Cup of Coffee: Travis, Owens continue hot stretches
- Cup of Coffee: Brian Johnson leads PawSox to shutout victory
- After slow start, Cecchini heating up at the plate, settling into left field
- Cup of Coffee: Watkins earns save after catching 14 innings
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Travis highlight tight Portland victory
- Cup of Coffee: Tejeda's big night pushes Portland past Fisher Cats
- 2015 Draft Recap: Benintendi a best-case scenario