Red Sox to open 2014 season in March, at Camden Yards
|09.10.13 at 1:59 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The (tentative) 2014 Red Sox regular season schedule is out.
The Red Sox will claim their earliest Opening Day since 2008 next season, kicking off the ’14 regular season on March 31 at Camden Yards in Baltimore against the Orioles. The previous earliest opener came when the Sox started their season in Japan ’08, taking on the A’s at the Tokyo Dome.
The Red Sox’ ’14 home opener will follow the three-game set in Baltimore, with the Brewers coming to Fenway Park on April 4. Besides Milwaukee, other National League teams coming to Boston will be the Reds (May 6-7), the Braves (May 28-29) and the Cubs (June 30-July 2).
The Red Sox will visit St. Louis for the first time since ’05, taking on the Cardinals in a three-game series from Aug. 5-7. It’s a road swing that also includes a visit to Cincinnati, where the Red Sox last traveled to in ’08. The Sox also return to Pittsburgh, taking on the Pirates Sept. 16-18.
The most difficult month for the Red Sox figures to be June, when John Farrell’s team will play 19 road games in six different cities (including a West Coast swing through Oakland and Seattle).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Let the games begin