Red Sox will unveil Carl Yastrzemski statue Sept. 22
|09.11.13 at 11:12 am ET|
The Red Sox on Wednesday announced plans to unveil a statue of Hall of Fame outfielder Carl Yastrzemski outside Fenway Park. The dedication ceremony is scheduled for Sept. 22 at 11 a.m., prior to that afternoon’s game against the Blue Jays. Yastrzemski, 74, will throw out the first pitch before the game.
The statue will depict Yaz tipping his helmet to the fans before the final at-bat of his 23-year career on Oct. 2, 1983.
“This is quite an honor,” the 18-time All-Star said in a team statement. “To have a bronze statue at Fenway Park is something I never could have imagined, and I am very grateful to the Red Sox for this kind gesture.”
Yastrzemski played in 3,308 games — a major league record at the time of his retirement — and recorded 452 home runs and 1,844 RBIs along with a line of .285/.379/.462. He won the AL MVP award in 1967 en route to leading the Red Sox to the American League pennant.
The statue will be the third created by the Red Sox, and it will stand outside the Gate B entrance, between statues of Ted Williams and “The Teammates” (Dom DiMaggio, Johnny Pesky, Bobby Doerr and Williams).
Toby Mendez, who created “The Teammates” statue, was commissioned to sculpt the Yaz statue.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs