Red Sox will unveil Carl Yastrzemski statue Sept. 22
|09.11.13 at 11:12 am ET|
The Red Sox on Wednesday announced plans to unveil a statue of Hall of Fame outfielder Carl Yastrzemski outside Fenway Park. The dedication ceremony is scheduled for Sept. 22 at 11 a.m., prior to that afternoon’s game against the Blue Jays. Yastrzemski, 74, will throw out the first pitch before the game.
The statue will depict Yaz tipping his helmet to the fans before the final at-bat of his 23-year career on Oct. 2, 1983.
“This is quite an honor,” the 18-time All-Star said in a team statement. “To have a bronze statue at Fenway Park is something I never could have imagined, and I am very grateful to the Red Sox for this kind gesture.”
Yastrzemski played in 3,308 games — a major league record at the time of his retirement — and recorded 452 home runs and 1,844 RBIs along with a line of .285/.379/.462. He won the AL MVP award in 1967 en route to leading the Red Sox to the American League pennant.
The statue will be the third created by the Red Sox, and it will stand outside the Gate B entrance, between statues of Ted Williams and “The Teammates” (Dom DiMaggio, Johnny Pesky, Bobby Doerr and Williams).
Toby Mendez, who created “The Teammates” statue, was commissioned to sculpt the Yaz statue.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery