Red Sox will unveil Carl Yastrzemski statue Sept. 22
|09.11.13 at 11:12 am ET|
The Red Sox on Wednesday announced plans to unveil a statue of Hall of Fame outfielder Carl Yastrzemski outside Fenway Park. The dedication ceremony is scheduled for Sept. 22 at 11 a.m., prior to that afternoon’s game against the Blue Jays. Yastrzemski, 74, will throw out the first pitch before the game.
The statue will depict Yaz tipping his helmet to the fans before the final at-bat of his 23-year career on Oct. 2, 1983.
“This is quite an honor,” the 18-time All-Star said in a team statement. “To have a bronze statue at Fenway Park is something I never could have imagined, and I am very grateful to the Red Sox for this kind gesture.”
Yastrzemski played in 3,308 games — a major league record at the time of his retirement — and recorded 452 home runs and 1,844 RBIs along with a line of .285/.379/.462. He won the AL MVP award in 1967 en route to leading the Red Sox to the American League pennant.
The statue will be the third created by the Red Sox, and it will stand outside the Gate B entrance, between statues of Ted Williams and “The Teammates” (Dom DiMaggio, Johnny Pesky, Bobby Doerr and Williams).
Toby Mendez, who created “The Teammates” statue, was commissioned to sculpt the Yaz statue.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers