Red Sox will unveil Carl Yastrzemski statue Sept. 22
|09.11.13 at 11:12 am ET|
The Red Sox on Wednesday announced plans to unveil a statue of Hall of Fame outfielder Carl Yastrzemski outside Fenway Park. The dedication ceremony is scheduled for Sept. 22 at 11 a.m., prior to that afternoon’s game against the Blue Jays. Yastrzemski, 74, will throw out the first pitch before the game.
The statue will depict Yaz tipping his helmet to the fans before the final at-bat of his 23-year career on Oct. 2, 1983.
“This is quite an honor,” the 18-time All-Star said in a team statement. “To have a bronze statue at Fenway Park is something I never could have imagined, and I am very grateful to the Red Sox for this kind gesture.”
Yastrzemski played in 3,308 games — a major league record at the time of his retirement — and recorded 452 home runs and 1,844 RBIs along with a line of .285/.379/.462. He won the AL MVP award in 1967 en route to leading the Red Sox to the American League pennant.
The statue will be the third created by the Red Sox, and it will stand outside the Gate B entrance, between statues of Ted Williams and “The Teammates” (Dom DiMaggio, Johnny Pesky, Bobby Doerr and Williams).
Toby Mendez, who created “The Teammates” statue, was commissioned to sculpt the Yaz statue.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe