Red Sox will unveil Carl Yastrzemski statue Sept. 22
|09.11.13 at 11:12 am ET|
The Red Sox on Wednesday announced plans to unveil a statue of Hall of Fame outfielder Carl Yastrzemski outside Fenway Park. The dedication ceremony is scheduled for Sept. 22 at 11 a.m., prior to that afternoon’s game against the Blue Jays. Yastrzemski, 74, will throw out the first pitch before the game.
The statue will depict Yaz tipping his helmet to the fans before the final at-bat of his 23-year career on Oct. 2, 1983.
“This is quite an honor,” the 18-time All-Star said in a team statement. “To have a bronze statue at Fenway Park is something I never could have imagined, and I am very grateful to the Red Sox for this kind gesture.”
Yastrzemski played in 3,308 games — a major league record at the time of his retirement — and recorded 452 home runs and 1,844 RBIs along with a line of .285/.379/.462. He won the AL MVP award in 1967 en route to leading the Red Sox to the American League pennant.
The statue will be the third created by the Red Sox, and it will stand outside the Gate B entrance, between statues of Ted Williams and “The Teammates” (Dom DiMaggio, Johnny Pesky, Bobby Doerr and Williams).
Toby Mendez, who created “The Teammates” statue, was commissioned to sculpt the Yaz statue.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza ties Drive K record in dominant outing
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero powers PawSox past IronPigs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts