Wednesday’s Red Sox-Rays matchups: Ryan Dempster vs. Alex Cobb
|09.11.13 at 9:49 am ET|
Looking to further extend their lead in the AL East, the Red Sox will send out Ryan Dempster on Wednesday night to take on Alex Cobb and the Rays in the second game of a three-game series in St. Petersburg, Fla.
After a rough August in which Dempster posted a 6.75 ERA in five starts, he has improved over his last two starts by allowing three runs in 6 1/3 innings on Aug. 30 against the White Sox and four runs in six innings last Wednesday vs. the Tigers, earning the win in both contests.
Demspster did not have to do much in his last start, as the Sox offense erupted to the tune of 20 runs, giving Dempster his eighth win of the season.
Dempster was saddled with the loss in his last start against the Rays, which came on June 19, despite posting a solid line of three earned runs over six innings of work. In 10 career starts against the Rays, Dempster is 3-5 with a 3.94 ERA.
Cobb has rebounded well after missing more than two months due to him being hit in the head by a line drive off the bat of Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer on June 15. In his five starts since returning from the DL, Cobb (8-3, 2.99 ERA) has only allowed more than two runs once.
Cobb received no decision in his last start against the Mariners on Friday after allowing four earned runs in six innings in what ended up being a 6-4 Seattle victory.
Cobb was roughed up in his last start against the Red Sox, as the Boston native surrendered six earned runs over four innings and took the loss in what was a 10-8 Boston win on June 10.
Cobb is 2-2 with a 4.09 ERA in six career appearances against the Red Sox.
Red Sox vs. Cobb (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (17 plate appearances): .267 BA/.353 OBP/.267 SLG, 2 RBIs, 2 walks
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (14): .200/.429/.300, 1 double, 4 walks
Jacoby Ellsbury (13): .231/.231/.462, 3 singles, 2 RBIs
Daniel Nava (12): .182/.250/.273, 1 double, 2 RBIs
Stephen Drew (11): .222/.364/.333, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (10): .375/.500/.625, 2 doubles, 2 walks
Mike Napoli (9): .286/.444/.429, 1 double, 3 strikeouts
David Ortiz (8): .250/.625/.250, 4 walks
Will Middlebrooks (7): .333/.429/.333, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Mike Carp (5): .400/.400/.400, 2 singles, 3 RBIs
Ryan Lavarnway (4): .250/.250/.250, 1 single, 1 strikeout
Quintin Berry (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk
Jackie Bradley Jr. (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Rays vs. Dempster (RHP)
Kelly Johnson (22 plate appearances): .071 BA/.409 OBP/.143 SLG, 8 walks, 8 strikeouts
James Loney (22): .095/.091/.095, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Yunel Escobar (14): .143/.143/.143, 2 hits, 2 strikeouts
Evan Longoria (8): .250/.250/.625, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Luke Scott (7): .429/.429/.857, 1 double, 1 triple
Desmond Jennings (6): .200/.333/.800, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Matthew Joyce (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 strikeout
Ben Zobrist (6): .400/.500/.400, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Jamey Wright (5): .400/.400/.800, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs
Wesley Wright (5): .200/.200/.200, 1 single
Jose Molina (3): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 3 singles
Wil Myers (3): .000/.000/.000
Delmon Young (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 single
Jose Lobaton (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
David DeJesus, Sam Fuld, Chris Gimenez and Sean Rodriguez have not faced Dempster.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles