Wednesday’s Red Sox-Rays matchups: Ryan Dempster vs. Alex Cobb
|09.11.13 at 9:49 am ET|
Looking to further extend their lead in the AL East, the Red Sox will send out Ryan Dempster on Wednesday night to take on Alex Cobb and the Rays in the second game of a three-game series in St. Petersburg, Fla.
After a rough August in which Dempster posted a 6.75 ERA in five starts, he has improved over his last two starts by allowing three runs in 6 1/3 innings on Aug. 30 against the White Sox and four runs in six innings last Wednesday vs. the Tigers, earning the win in both contests.
Demspster did not have to do much in his last start, as the Sox offense erupted to the tune of 20 runs, giving Dempster his eighth win of the season.
Dempster was saddled with the loss in his last start against the Rays, which came on June 19, despite posting a solid line of three earned runs over six innings of work. In 10 career starts against the Rays, Dempster is 3-5 with a 3.94 ERA.
Cobb has rebounded well after missing more than two months due to him being hit in the head by a line drive off the bat of Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer on June 15. In his five starts since returning from the DL, Cobb (8-3, 2.99 ERA) has only allowed more than two runs once.
Cobb received no decision in his last start against the Mariners on Friday after allowing four earned runs in six innings in what ended up being a 6-4 Seattle victory.
Cobb was roughed up in his last start against the Red Sox, as the Boston native surrendered six earned runs over four innings and took the loss in what was a 10-8 Boston win on June 10.
Cobb is 2-2 with a 4.09 ERA in six career appearances against the Red Sox.
Red Sox vs. Cobb (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (17 plate appearances): .267 BA/.353 OBP/.267 SLG, 2 RBIs, 2 walks
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (14): .200/.429/.300, 1 double, 4 walks
Jacoby Ellsbury (13): .231/.231/.462, 3 singles, 2 RBIs
Daniel Nava (12): .182/.250/.273, 1 double, 2 RBIs
Stephen Drew (11): .222/.364/.333, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (10): .375/.500/.625, 2 doubles, 2 walks
Mike Napoli (9): .286/.444/.429, 1 double, 3 strikeouts
David Ortiz (8): .250/.625/.250, 4 walks
Will Middlebrooks (7): .333/.429/.333, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Mike Carp (5): .400/.400/.400, 2 singles, 3 RBIs
Ryan Lavarnway (4): .250/.250/.250, 1 single, 1 strikeout
Quintin Berry (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk
Jackie Bradley Jr. (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Rays vs. Dempster (RHP)
Kelly Johnson (22 plate appearances): .071 BA/.409 OBP/.143 SLG, 8 walks, 8 strikeouts
James Loney (22): .095/.091/.095, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Yunel Escobar (14): .143/.143/.143, 2 hits, 2 strikeouts
Evan Longoria (8): .250/.250/.625, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Luke Scott (7): .429/.429/.857, 1 double, 1 triple
Desmond Jennings (6): .200/.333/.800, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Matthew Joyce (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 strikeout
Ben Zobrist (6): .400/.500/.400, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Jamey Wright (5): .400/.400/.800, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs
Wesley Wright (5): .200/.200/.200, 1 single
Jose Molina (3): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 3 singles
Wil Myers (3): .000/.000/.000
Delmon Young (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 single
Jose Lobaton (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
David DeJesus, Sam Fuld, Chris Gimenez and Sean Rodriguez have not faced Dempster.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players