Mike Napoli guaranteed incentives; will earn $13 million for season
|09.12.13 at 2:06 pm ET|
Thursday marks the 165th day on the active major league roster for Mike Napoli, thereby ensuring the first baseman will earn the full $8 million in incentives for his current one-year deal with the Red Sox.
The milestone guarantees Napoli $13 million for the 2013 season. It matches the annual average value for the three-year deal he and the Red Sox originally agreed to prior to the team’s concerns over the player’s avascular necrosis in his hip joints. The uncertainty regarding the 31-year-old’s physical condition knocked the deal down to a one-year, $5 million, incentive-laden contract.
(A July MRI revealed there had been no worsening of Napoli’s avascular necrosis.)
Napoli had turned in a career-high 534 plate appearances, playing in 128 games. He is hitting .260 with an .836 OPS, 21 home runs and 87 RBIs.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill