Mike Napoli guaranteed incentives; will earn $13 million for season
|09.12.13 at 2:06 pm ET|
Thursday marks the 165th day on the active major league roster for Mike Napoli, thereby ensuring the first baseman will earn the full $8 million in incentives for his current one-year deal with the Red Sox.
The milestone guarantees Napoli $13 million for the 2013 season. It matches the annual average value for the three-year deal he and the Red Sox originally agreed to prior to the team’s concerns over the player’s avascular necrosis in his hip joints. The uncertainty regarding the 31-year-old’s physical condition knocked the deal down to a one-year, $5 million, incentive-laden contract.
(A July MRI revealed there had been no worsening of Napoli’s avascular necrosis.)
Napoli had turned in a career-high 534 plate appearances, playing in 128 games. He is hitting .260 with an .836 OPS, 21 home runs and 87 RBIs.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts