Mike Napoli guaranteed incentives; will earn $13 million for season
|09.12.13 at 2:06 pm ET|
Thursday marks the 165th day on the active major league roster for Mike Napoli, thereby ensuring the first baseman will earn the full $8 million in incentives for his current one-year deal with the Red Sox.
The milestone guarantees Napoli $13 million for the 2013 season. It matches the annual average value for the three-year deal he and the Red Sox originally agreed to prior to the team’s concerns over the player’s avascular necrosis in his hip joints. The uncertainty regarding the 31-year-old’s physical condition knocked the deal down to a one-year, $5 million, incentive-laden contract.
(A July MRI revealed there had been no worsening of Napoli’s avascular necrosis.)
Napoli had turned in a career-high 534 plate appearances, playing in 128 games. He is hitting .260 with an .836 OPS, 21 home runs and 87 RBIs.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Ian Cundall
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Matt Huegel
- Sox have seventh pick in draft
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Chris Hatfield
- SoxProspects.com 2014 season-end award winners
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #64: Playing Out the Stretch
- Weekly Notes: Prospects flock to Boston
- 2014 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game