Mike Napoli guaranteed incentives; will earn $13 million for season
|09.12.13 at 2:06 pm ET|
Thursday marks the 165th day on the active major league roster for Mike Napoli, thereby ensuring the first baseman will earn the full $8 million in incentives for his current one-year deal with the Red Sox.
The milestone guarantees Napoli $13 million for the 2013 season. It matches the annual average value for the three-year deal he and the Red Sox originally agreed to prior to the team’s concerns over the player’s avascular necrosis in his hip joints. The uncertainty regarding the 31-year-old’s physical condition knocked the deal down to a one-year, $5 million, incentive-laden contract.
(A July MRI revealed there had been no worsening of Napoli’s avascular necrosis.)
Napoli had turned in a career-high 534 plate appearances, playing in 128 games. He is hitting .260 with an .836 OPS, 21 home runs and 87 RBIs.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis shines in national TV spotlight
- Cup of Coffee: Travis, Owens continue hot stretches
- Cup of Coffee: Brian Johnson leads PawSox to shutout victory
- After slow start, Cecchini heating up at the plate, settling into left field
- Cup of Coffee: Watkins earns save after catching 14 innings
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Travis highlight tight Portland victory
- Cup of Coffee: Tejeda's big night pushes Portland past Fisher Cats
- 2015 Draft Recap: Benintendi a best-case scenario