Mike Napoli guaranteed incentives; will earn $13 million for season
|09.12.13 at 2:06 pm ET|
Thursday marks the 165th day on the active major league roster for Mike Napoli, thereby ensuring the first baseman will earn the full $8 million in incentives for his current one-year deal with the Red Sox.
The milestone guarantees Napoli $13 million for the 2013 season. It matches the annual average value for the three-year deal he and the Red Sox originally agreed to prior to the team’s concerns over the player’s avascular necrosis in his hip joints. The uncertainty regarding the 31-year-old’s physical condition knocked the deal down to a one-year, $5 million, incentive-laden contract.
(A July MRI revealed there had been no worsening of Napoli’s avascular necrosis.)
Napoli had turned in a career-high 534 plate appearances, playing in 128 games. He is hitting .260 with an .836 OPS, 21 home runs and 87 RBIs.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster