Red Sox lineup: Xander Bogaerts starts, Shane Victorino sits
|09.12.13 at 3:49 pm ET|
For the first time since launching his first career homer on Saturday, Xander Bogaerts is in the Red Sox lineup. The 20-year-old is spelling Will Middlebrooks at third base while batting eighth.
It’s Bogaerts’ seventh start — four of which have now come with right-hander Jake Peavy on the hill. Why? The answer might lie in the fact that Peavy is one of the most extreme flyball pitchers in the major leagues, meaning the likelihood of a quieter day for the infield behind him, at a time when the rookie is acclimating to a new level (and, at times such as Thursday, a new position at third base).
Dustin Pedroia will bat leadoff for the second straight game, with Shane Victorino taking the day off against Rays right-hander Jeremy Hellickson. Jackie Bradley Jr. will start in center, flanked by Daniel Nava in right and Jonny Gomes in left, while Mike Napoli will celebrate the fact that he’s reached his 165th day on the active roster (and the $8 million catch-all bonus that comes with it) by starting at first base and batting cleanup.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, after a night off on Wednesday, is back in the lineup and behind the plate for Peavy. Saltalamacchia has enjoyed tremendous success against Hellickson (.304/.407/.696 with two homers in 27 plate appearances), as has David Ortiz (.364/.500/.773 with two homers in 28 plate appearances).
RED SOX LINEUP
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Daniel Nava, RF
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C
Jonny Gomes, LF
Stephen Drew, SS
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Jake Peavy, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners drop one in extras, timely hitting for Sea Dogs and Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi blasts first professional home run
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts, Stankiewicz shines for Salem
- Red Sox purchase contract of pitcher Noe Ramirez
- Johnson named to International League All-Star Team
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech goes six strong, Nava returns to Pawtucket
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?
- Five Sea Dogs chosen for Eastern League All-Star team