Red Sox to honor Mariano Rivera at Fenway Park on Sunday
|09.12.13 at 11:06 am ET|
The Red Sox plan to honor Yankees closer Mariano Rivera prior to Sunday night’s Red Sox-Yankees game, the future Hall of Famer’s last regular season — and quite possibly last — appearance at Fenway Park prior to his retirement. From the press release:
The Boston Red Sox will pay tribute to New York Yankees closer Mariano Rivera in a pre-game ceremony at Fenway Park this Sunday, September 15, before the 43 year-old’s last regular season game at the ballpark. Major League Baseball‘s all-time saves leader announced that he would retire at season’s end after a 19-year career. Rivera has made more appearances than any other visiting reliever in the 102-year history of Fenway Park.
Fans coming to Sunday’s game, scheduled to start at 8:05 p.m., are invited to be seated by approximately 7:30 p.m. A limited number of tickets are still available for the game.
Rivera has made 55 career regular season appearances at Fenway Park, going 2-4 with a 2.54 ERA and 36 saves (and eight blown saves — his most in any visiting park) in 60 1/3 innings. He has made five additional postseason appearances against the Red Sox at Fenway, recording three saves but also blowing two — Games 4 and 5 of the 2004 American League Championship Series, both of which the Sox won in extra innings en route to their historic comeback from a 3-0 deficit in the best-of-seven American League Championship Series. Rivera has blown only five saves in 47 career postseason opportunities.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again