Red Sox to honor Mariano Rivera at Fenway Park on Sunday
|09.12.13 at 11:06 am ET|
The Red Sox plan to honor Yankees closer Mariano Rivera prior to Sunday night’s Red Sox-Yankees game, the future Hall of Famer’s last regular season — and quite possibly last — appearance at Fenway Park prior to his retirement. From the press release:
The Boston Red Sox will pay tribute to New York Yankees closer Mariano Rivera in a pre-game ceremony at Fenway Park this Sunday, September 15, before the 43 year-old’s last regular season game at the ballpark. Major League Baseball‘s all-time saves leader announced that he would retire at season’s end after a 19-year career. Rivera has made more appearances than any other visiting reliever in the 102-year history of Fenway Park.
Fans coming to Sunday’s game, scheduled to start at 8:05 p.m., are invited to be seated by approximately 7:30 p.m. A limited number of tickets are still available for the game.
Rivera has made 55 career regular season appearances at Fenway Park, going 2-4 with a 2.54 ERA and 36 saves (and eight blown saves — his most in any visiting park) in 60 1/3 innings. He has made five additional postseason appearances against the Red Sox at Fenway, recording three saves but also blowing two — Games 4 and 5 of the 2004 American League Championship Series, both of which the Sox won in extra innings en route to their historic comeback from a 3-0 deficit in the best-of-seven American League Championship Series. Rivera has blown only five saves in 47 career postseason opportunities.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept