Red Sox to honor Mariano Rivera at Fenway Park on Sunday
|09.12.13 at 11:06 am ET|
The Red Sox plan to honor Yankees closer Mariano Rivera prior to Sunday night’s Red Sox-Yankees game, the future Hall of Famer’s last regular season — and quite possibly last — appearance at Fenway Park prior to his retirement. From the press release:
The Boston Red Sox will pay tribute to New York Yankees closer Mariano Rivera in a pre-game ceremony at Fenway Park this Sunday, September 15, before the 43 year-old’s last regular season game at the ballpark. Major League Baseball‘s all-time saves leader announced that he would retire at season’s end after a 19-year career. Rivera has made more appearances than any other visiting reliever in the 102-year history of Fenway Park.
Fans coming to Sunday’s game, scheduled to start at 8:05 p.m., are invited to be seated by approximately 7:30 p.m. A limited number of tickets are still available for the game.
Rivera has made 55 career regular season appearances at Fenway Park, going 2-4 with a 2.54 ERA and 36 saves (and eight blown saves — his most in any visiting park) in 60 1/3 innings. He has made five additional postseason appearances against the Red Sox at Fenway, recording three saves but also blowing two — Games 4 and 5 of the 2004 American League Championship Series, both of which the Sox won in extra innings en route to their historic comeback from a 3-0 deficit in the best-of-seven American League Championship Series. Rivera has blown only five saves in 47 career postseason opportunities.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome