After X-rays, Jake Peavy says right wrist ‘will be OK’
|09.13.13 at 12:00 am ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — After the Red Sox‘ 4-3 loss to the Rays Thursday night, Jake Peavy emerged from the trainer’s room with his right wrist taped up. The pitcher had been hit with a sixth-inning line drive off the bat of Tampa Bay’s Desmond Jennings.
Peavy stayed in to throw three more pitches (along with a one-hop pickoff throw to first baseman Mike Napoli), retiring Jose Lobaton to end the sixth, before calling it a night.
After the game Peavy had X-rays, which came back negative. The righty said he believed the injury was just a bruise and wouldn’t be anything to worry about.
“Just the line drive hit me on the wrist, the outer part of the wrist,” he said. “It will be OK.”
Peavy got a no-decision, allowing three runs on four hits over six innings, while tying a season high with five walks. He has allowed three or more runs in each of his last two starts after not managing the feat in his previous four starts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington