After X-rays, Jake Peavy says right wrist ‘will be OK’
|09.13.13 at 12:00 am ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — After the Red Sox‘ 4-3 loss to the Rays Thursday night, Jake Peavy emerged from the trainer’s room with his right wrist taped up. The pitcher had been hit with a sixth-inning line drive off the bat of Tampa Bay’s Desmond Jennings.
Peavy stayed in to throw three more pitches (along with a one-hop pickoff throw to first baseman Mike Napoli), retiring Jose Lobaton to end the sixth, before calling it a night.
After the game Peavy had X-rays, which came back negative. The righty said he believed the injury was just a bruise and wouldn’t be anything to worry about.
“Just the line drive hit me on the wrist, the outer part of the wrist,” he said. “It will be OK.”
Peavy got a no-decision, allowing three runs on four hits over six innings, while tying a season high with five walks. He has allowed three or more runs in each of his last two starts after not managing the feat in his previous four starts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016