Friday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: John Lackey vs. Hiroki Kuroda
|09.13.13 at 10:25 am ET|
The teams last faced each other this past weekend, as the Red Sox scored 37 runs over the four-game series en route to taking three out of four games.
Lackey (9-12, 3.48 ERA) started the third game of that series in what was an unusual start for both the right-hander and the Sox offense.
Prior to Saturday’s game, Lackey had only won one of his last nine starts, despite the fact that he only allowed 27 runs and 11 walks over those 62 innings of work.
The chief reason for Lackey’s poor record during that stretch was the Red Sox offense, which has failed to show up in many of Lackey’s starts.
The Red Sox have been shut out 12 times this season. Six of those times, it was when Lackey was the starting pitcher.
However, in Lackey’s last start on Saturday, it was a complete reversal.
Lackey put together a poor performance, allowing eight hits and seven earned runs over 5 2/3 innings, but he was boosted by the red-hot Boston offense, which scored 12 runs in the first five innings.
Despite pitching poorly for the first time in what seems like months, Lackey picked up the win in what ended up being a 13-9 Red Sox victory.
Kuroda (11-10, 2.99 ERA) took the mound against the Red Sox on Sunday and held the potent Boston lineup to just two runs and five hits over six innings.
While Kuroda did not get the win, thanks in large part to a blown save by Yankees closer Mariano Rivera, the Yankees won the game by the score of 4-3 to avoid the sweep.
Kuroda’s solid performance on Sunday was a step in the right direction for the 38-year-old, as he had posted a 7.43 ERA in the 23 innings prior to Sunday’s start.
Yankees vs. Lackey (RHP)
Ichiro Suzuki (117 plate appearances): .300 BA/.342 OBP/.382 SLG, 33 hits, 16 strikeouts
Alex Rodriguez (74): .183/.324/.483, 5 home runs, 26 strikeouts
Robinson Cano (56): .269/.321/.385, 6 doubles, 6 RBIs
Vernon Wells (43): .200/.256/.275, 1 home run, 8 strikeouts
Alfonso Soriano (39): .143/.231/.171, 4 walks, 8 strikeouts
Curtis Granderson (37): .258/.361/.516, 1 home run, 8 strikeouts
Brett Gardner (34): .355/.412/.516, 3 doubles, 4 RBIs
Lyle Overbay (33): .367/.424/.567, 6 doubles, 5 RBIs
Eduardo Nunez (12): .444/.583/.778, 3 doubles, 3 walks
Mark Reynolds (12): .182/.250/.182, 8 strikeouts
Brendan Ryan (7): .167/.167/.167, 1 single
Chris Stewart (6): .250/.400/.500, 1 double
Austin Romine (4): .250/.250/.250, 1 single
J.R. Murphy (1): .000/.000/.000
David Adams and Zoilo Almonte have not faced Lackey.
Red Sox vs. Kuroda (RHP)
Stephen Drew (38 plate appearances): .229 BA/.263 OBP/.286 SLG, 2 doubles, 6 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (28): .296/.321/.444, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Jacoby Ellsbury (24): .348/.375/.478, 3 doubles, 3 RBIs
Daniel Nava (24): .300/.417/.450, 3 doubles, 2 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (24): .217/.250/.348, 1 home run, 6 RBIs
Shane Victorino (20): .278/.350/.389, 2 doubles, 2 walks
Mike Carp (18): .333/.333/.500, 3 doubles, 2 RBIs
David Ortiz (18): .600/.611/1.000, 1 home run, 3 RBIs
Jonny Gomes (15): .154/.200/.154, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (10): .333/.400/.333, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Ryan Lavarnway (9): .125/.222/.125, 4 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks (9): .375/.444/.375, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Quintin Berry (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Jackie Bradley Jr. (5): .000/.400/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven