Friday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: John Lackey vs. Hiroki Kuroda
|09.13.13 at 10:25 am ET|
The teams last faced each other this past weekend, as the Red Sox scored 37 runs over the four-game series en route to taking three out of four games.
Lackey (9-12, 3.48 ERA) started the third game of that series in what was an unusual start for both the right-hander and the Sox offense.
Prior to Saturday’s game, Lackey had only won one of his last nine starts, despite the fact that he only allowed 27 runs and 11 walks over those 62 innings of work.
The chief reason for Lackey’s poor record during that stretch was the Red Sox offense, which has failed to show up in many of Lackey’s starts.
The Red Sox have been shut out 12 times this season. Six of those times, it was when Lackey was the starting pitcher.
However, in Lackey’s last start on Saturday, it was a complete reversal.
Lackey put together a poor performance, allowing eight hits and seven earned runs over 5 2/3 innings, but he was boosted by the red-hot Boston offense, which scored 12 runs in the first five innings.
Despite pitching poorly for the first time in what seems like months, Lackey picked up the win in what ended up being a 13-9 Red Sox victory.
Kuroda (11-10, 2.99 ERA) took the mound against the Red Sox on Sunday and held the potent Boston lineup to just two runs and five hits over six innings.
While Kuroda did not get the win, thanks in large part to a blown save by Yankees closer Mariano Rivera, the Yankees won the game by the score of 4-3 to avoid the sweep.
Kuroda’s solid performance on Sunday was a step in the right direction for the 38-year-old, as he had posted a 7.43 ERA in the 23 innings prior to Sunday’s start.
Yankees vs. Lackey (RHP)
Ichiro Suzuki (117 plate appearances): .300 BA/.342 OBP/.382 SLG, 33 hits, 16 strikeouts
Alex Rodriguez (74): .183/.324/.483, 5 home runs, 26 strikeouts
Robinson Cano (56): .269/.321/.385, 6 doubles, 6 RBIs
Vernon Wells (43): .200/.256/.275, 1 home run, 8 strikeouts
Alfonso Soriano (39): .143/.231/.171, 4 walks, 8 strikeouts
Curtis Granderson (37): .258/.361/.516, 1 home run, 8 strikeouts
Brett Gardner (34): .355/.412/.516, 3 doubles, 4 RBIs
Lyle Overbay (33): .367/.424/.567, 6 doubles, 5 RBIs
Eduardo Nunez (12): .444/.583/.778, 3 doubles, 3 walks
Mark Reynolds (12): .182/.250/.182, 8 strikeouts
Brendan Ryan (7): .167/.167/.167, 1 single
Chris Stewart (6): .250/.400/.500, 1 double
Austin Romine (4): .250/.250/.250, 1 single
J.R. Murphy (1): .000/.000/.000
David Adams and Zoilo Almonte have not faced Lackey.
Red Sox vs. Kuroda (RHP)
Stephen Drew (38 plate appearances): .229 BA/.263 OBP/.286 SLG, 2 doubles, 6 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (28): .296/.321/.444, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Jacoby Ellsbury (24): .348/.375/.478, 3 doubles, 3 RBIs
Daniel Nava (24): .300/.417/.450, 3 doubles, 2 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (24): .217/.250/.348, 1 home run, 6 RBIs
Shane Victorino (20): .278/.350/.389, 2 doubles, 2 walks
Mike Carp (18): .333/.333/.500, 3 doubles, 2 RBIs
David Ortiz (18): .600/.611/1.000, 1 home run, 3 RBIs
Jonny Gomes (15): .154/.200/.154, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (10): .333/.400/.333, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Ryan Lavarnway (9): .125/.222/.125, 4 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks (9): .375/.444/.375, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Quintin Berry (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Jackie Bradley Jr. (5): .000/.400/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller