Red Sox pregame notes: Jacoby Ellsbury ‘on target'; taking stock of Sox’ Fenway success; Jake Peavy fine; Jose De La Torre to the Brewers
|09.13.13 at 5:46 pm ET|
Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, whose right foot was put in an immobilizing boot last week with what was diagnosed as a small, non-displaced compression fracture in his foot, took a step forward in his rehab on Friday. He’s receiving ongoing treatment for his foot, but on Friday, he was able to commence physical activity, including some work outside of the boot,” said manager John Farrell. “Based on the exam and second opinion, this was the day, the first date we could begin that. So he’s on target.”
Ellsbury, who suffered the injury when he fouled a ball off his foot on Aug. 28, has now sat out for eight days. The Sox remain hopeful that he will be able to return to games within the remaining 16 days of the regular season.
OTHER RED SOX NOTES
— The Red Sox are entering their final regular season homestand of 2013 with the best home record in the American League, a gaudy 47-25 mark (.653). Interestingly, while the team does have a better batting line at home, hitting .287 with a .356 OBP and .469 slugging mark (as compared to a .265/.341/.421 line on the road), the difference in the team’s bottom-line scoring average has been negligible, with the Sox scoring 5.22 runs per game at home and 5.17 per contest on the road. That perhaps underscores the notion that the Sox weren’t built for Fenway Park, per se, with the exception of the signing of Shane Victorino to provide center field-caliber defense in Boston’s expansive right field. Still, the Sox were mindful of the bigger picture fit of players in Boston.
“The bigger picture was who would embrace the environment here, the challenges that are presented,” said Farrell. “And that’s probably common through the eight or nine free agents that were signed.”
The Sox would have to go 9-0 on this homestand in order to match the 2009 team’s 56 wins at Fenway Park. However, that team went 56-25 at home while struggling to a 39-42 mark on the road.
— Farrell said that there is no fixed formula regarding whether the team needs to see a starter in the bullpen before using him in a relief role in the postseason.
“That depends on who that might be,” said Farrell. “Going with a four-man rotation versus five, who is the guy that comes out? Has there been some experience there before? Do we trim back a pitcher because we’ll need an extra position player? That’s kind of a sliding scale to a point right now.”
— Jake Peavy felt no residual effects from taking a liner off his right wrist at the end of his game against the Rays on Thursday.
— Right-hander Jose De La Torre — who was designated for assignment to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Clay Buchholz on Tuesday — was claimed off waivers by the Brewers. The 27-year-old right-hander had a 6.35 ERA with 15 strikeouts and 10 walks in 11 1/3 innings in the big leagues this year. He had a 2.75 ERA with 10.1 strikeouts and 4.6 walks per nine in 52 1/3 innings for Triple-A Pawtucket.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday