Red Sox call up Brock Holt, Brayan Villarreal, Steven Wright
|09.17.13 at 3:51 pm ET|
The Red Sox called up infielder Brock Holt and pitchers Brayan Villarreal and Steven Wright on Tuesday.
Holt has played 23 games for Boston this season, hitting .203/.275/.237 with 11 RBIs in 23 games. He provides depth at second base, third base and shortstop.
Villarreal has faced just one batter for the Red Sox since coming over in the Jake Peavy-Jose Iglesias trade — a walk-off walk against the Giants on Aug. 20. Villarreal had a 1.69 ERA in five appearances for Pawtucket.
Wright has made four appearances for the Sox this season, including one start, recording a 5.40 ERA and 1.58 WHIP. He had a 3.46 ERA in 24 starts for Pawtucket.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles