Shane Victorino leaves with jammed thumb
|09.19.13 at 12:10 am ET|
Victorino, who was wearing a guard for the thumb throughout the game, was pinch-hit for by Jackie Bradley Jr. in the 12th. Bradley Jr. grounded out to the pitcher.
Victorino still managed three hits on the night, including a 10th-inning single against Baltimore reliever Tommy Hunter, who hadn’t given up a hit to a right-handed batter prior to the game since Aug. 19.
“He’s got a little bit of a jammed thumb,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell after the loss. “He’s wearing a guard to protect it, to give him some cushion. But we felt like after that final at-bat we needed to make a move there just because of the soreness he’s experiencing.”
In 22 games at Fenway Park since July 30, Victorino is now batting .402 with a .470 OBP.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox win league championship
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller