Shane Victorino leaves with jammed thumb
|09.19.13 at 12:10 am ET|
Victorino, who was wearing a guard for the thumb throughout the game, was pinch-hit for by Jackie Bradley Jr. in the 12th. Bradley Jr. grounded out to the pitcher.
Victorino still managed three hits on the night, including a 10th-inning single against Baltimore reliever Tommy Hunter, who hadn’t given up a hit to a right-handed batter prior to the game since Aug. 19.
“He’s got a little bit of a jammed thumb,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell after the loss. “He’s wearing a guard to protect it, to give him some cushion. But we felt like after that final at-bat we needed to make a move there just because of the soreness he’s experiencing.”
In 22 games at Fenway Park since July 30, Victorino is now batting .402 with a .470 OBP.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts