Thursday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: John Lackey vs. Chris Tillman
|09.19.13 at 11:29 am ET|
The Red Sox and Orioles will face off for the final time at Fenway Park during the regular season on Thursday night, as John Lackey will take the mound for Boston. Opposing Lackey will be Chris Tillman, who will be looking for his fourth win against Boston this season.
It’s been a odd last few weeks for Lackey. While he has struggled over his last two starts (11 earned runs in 12 innings of work), Lackey has compiled a 1-0 record over that stretch, thanks in large part to 21 runs of support during those two starts.
This sudden surge of offense has been odd to see in a Lackey start, as the team only scored 18 runs in Lackey’s previous eight games.
Lackey was once again solid in his last start on Sept. 13 against the Yankees, as the right-hander held the New York lineup to four earned over 6 1/3 innings.
Lackey put together a great performance in his last start against Baltimore, holding the O’s to just three runs in 7 1/3 innings in what ended up being a 4-3 Red Sox win.
Tillman (16-6, 3.70 ERA) has excelled against the Red Sox this season, as he is 3-0 with a 1.42 ERA in four starts. The right-hander has enjoyed his best season of his young career in 2013, as he is third in the AL in wins and win percentage (.727).
In his last start, Tillman took the loss against the Blue Jays on Saturday, despite going eight innings and only allowing four earned runs. In terms of Tillman’s last start against Boston on Aug. 29, it was another dominant performance for the 25-year-old, as he only surrendered two runs over seven innings in what ended up being a 3-2 Baltimore victory.
Orioles vs. Lackey (RHP)
Nick Markakis (57 plate appearances): .353 BA/.421 OBP/.471 SLG, 4 doubles, 1 triple
Brian Roberts (42): .300/.333/.350, 2 doubles, 1 RBI
Adam Jones (40): .237/.250/.447, 2 home runs, 10 strikeouts
Chris Davis (28): .423/.464/.769, 2 home runs, 6 RBIs
Matt Wieters (27): .185/.185/.185, 2 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Dan Johnson (26): .200/.385/.350, 1 home run, 3 RBIs
J.J. Hardy (18): .133/.278/.133, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Wilson Betemit (11): .091/.091/.182, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Alexi Casilla (11): .091/.091/.091, 1 single, 2 strikeouts
Manny Machado (11): .545/.545/1.182, 2 home runs, 4 RBIs
Nate McLouth (11): .182/.182/.364, 1 triple
Mike Morse (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 RBI
Ryan Flaherty (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Chris Dickerson (2): .000/.000/.000
Steve Clevenger, Chris Snyder, and Danny Valencia have not faced Lackey.
Red Sox vs. Tillman (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (26 plate appearances): .261 BA/.308 OBP/.304 SLG, 1 double, 3 RBIs
Jacoby Ellsbury (18): .222/.222/.278, 1 double , 4 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (17): .286/.412/.429, 2 doubles, 6 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (16): .063/.063/.125, 1 double, 6 strikeouts
David Ortiz (13): .000/.231/.000, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (12): .364/.417/.636, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Mike Napoli (9): .375/.444/.375, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (8): .167/.375/.167, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Will Middlebrooks (8): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Mike Carp (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Ryan Lavarnway (3): .000/.000/.000
Jackie Bradley Jr. (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
John McDonald (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
David Ross (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Quintin Berry, Xander Bogaerts and Brandon Snyder have not faced Tillman.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven