Friday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Jon Lester vs. Esmil Rogers
|09.20.13 at 10:37 am ET|
Lester (14-8, 3.75 ERA) comes off a pair of fantastic starts vs. the Yankees. He lasted eight innings in a Sept. 8 no-decision, allowing three runs at Yankee Stadium. Then on Sept. 14, Lester again tossed eight innings, allowing just one run to earn a victory at Fenway.
Before Lester’s last start vs. the Blue Jays on Aug. 14, his ERA (4.37) and WHIP (1.35) at the time looked more like his disastrous 2012 season (4.82 ERA, 1.383 WHIP), than the numbers he averaged in his four-year apex between 2008 and 2011 (3.33 ERA, 1.241 WHIP)
However, starting with a solid outing on that day — he allowed two earned runs in 6 1/3 innings — Lester reversed the course on his season. His ERA is 1.94 since his start at Toronto and it was 62 innings ago since Lester last allowed a home run.
‘I knew after what I went through at the middle of the year that it’s just a matter of time and things will take care of itself,’ Lester said after his latest start against New York. ‘I think anytime you take someone that’s had some success, your confidence is high. When you struggle, that kind of varies from certain starts.’
Lester has faced the Blue Jays five times this season, with three wins under his belt. He has a 2.80 ERA and a .849 WHIP.
Rogers (5-7, 4.47 ERA) has been hot in September, posting a 1.35 ERA. He did not give up a run in wins over the Diamondbacks and Twins to start the month. In his last time out, Rogers pitched six innings and allowed three runs on five hits and two walks with seven strikeouts vs. the visiting Orioles on Saturday. He did not factor in the decision as the Jays rallied for a 4-3 victory.
A five-year veteran who is in his first year in Toronto, Rogers comes in with a 5.11 ERA in night games this season vs. a 2.97 ERA during the daytime. He started the season in the bullpen but was moved into the rotation in late May.
In six appearances (two starts) vs. the Red Sox this season, Rogers has an 0-1 record and 4.40 ERA, with 13 strikeouts, six walks and three home runs.
Blue Jays vs. Lester (LHP)
J.P. Arencibia (43): .195/.233/.390, 2 HR, 2 doubles, 7 RBIs, 2 walks, 16 strikeouts
Rajai Davis (37): .303/.378/.576, 1 HR, 2 doubles, 2 triples, 5 RBIs, 3 walks, 9 strikeouts
Adam Lind (30): .103/.133/.138, 1 double, 1 walk, 12 strikeouts
Brett Lawrie (25): .136/.240/.318, 1 HR, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Mark DeRosa (18): .188/.278/.500, 1 HR, 2 doubles, 4 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Colby Rasmus (15): .200/.200/.200, 1 RBI, 5 strikeouts
Jose Reyes (13): .083/.154/.083, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Moises Sierra (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Kevin Pillar (3): .000/.000/.000
Munenori Kawasaki and Anthony Gose each have one strikeout in three plate appearances.
Mike Nickeas, Josh Thole and Ryan Goins have not faced Lester.
Red Sox vs. Rogers (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (10): .500/.500/.700, 3 doubles, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (9): .333/.333/.556, 1 triple, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (9): .222/.222/.556, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 3 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (7): .400/.571/.400, 1 walk
David Ortiz (7): .333/.429/.833, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (6): .000/.500/.000, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
Shane Victorino (6): .200/.333/.400, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (5): .400/.400/.600, 1 double, 3 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks (4): .333/.500/.667, 1 double
Quintin Berry (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double, 1 strikeout
John McDonald (1): .000/.000/.000
Xander Bogaerts, Jackie Bradley Jr. ,Mike Carp, Brock Holt, Ryan Lavarnway, David Ross and Brandon Snyder have not faced Rogers.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins