Tuesday’s Red Sox-Rockies matchups: John Lackey vs. Tyler Chatwood
|09.24.13 at 2:17 pm ET|
Lackey (10-12, 3.44 ERA) is coming off the best start of his resurgent season, a complete-game two-hitter against the Orioles last Thursday. Lackey did not surrender a hit until the seventh inning, and he finished with eight strikeouts as the Sox clinched a postseason berth.
“Just an outstanding ballgame,” manager John Farrell said. “The remake of John Lackey both physically and getting back on the mound and performing as he’s done all year mirrors that of this team. It’s been a remake and it’s somewhat fitting that, to clinch a spot to get into the playoffs with him on the mound and to go nine innings the way he did, like I said, it was very fitting.”
In his previous two starts, Lackey had given up a total of 11 runs and 15 hits in 12 innings.
Lackey originally was scheduled to pitch out of the bullpen in this series, but the Sox decided to move Jake Peavy back a day and give Lackey this start along with Sunday’s regular-season finale at Baltimore.
Lackey faced the Rockies once this season, on June 26 at Fenway. He allowed two runs in seven innings and struck out a season-high 12 in the 5-3 victory.
The Rockies acquired Chatwood (7-5, 3.36 ERA) from the Angels after the 2011 season in exchange for catcher Chris Iannetta.
After a seven-inning, 11-strikeout gem at home vs. the Brewers on July 26, Chatwood’s ERA stood at 2.48. However, Chatwood has experienced a horrendous five-game stretch since his win against Milwaukee. His ERA and WHIP in those five games are 6.86 and 2.14, respectively. The stretch features back-to-back games in which Chatwood could not make it out of the third inning, against the Braves on July 31 and the Reds on Sept. 1. Between those two dates, Chatwood spent a month on the disabled list with elbow inflammation.
Chatwood took a loss against the Cardinals last Wednesday. He threw six innings, allowing four runs on eight hits and striking out one.
The three-year pro faced Boston in 2011 with the Angels, in his only career start against the Red Sox. He took a no-decision in six innings, allowing two runs on six hits and five walks.
Red Sox vs. Chatwood (RHP)
Mike Napoli (6): .400/.500/.400, 1 walk
David Ross (5): .400/.400/.600, 1 double, 2 RBIs
Shane Victorino (5): .000/.200/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
David Ortiz (3): .500/.667/1.000, 1 double, 1 walk
Dustin Pedroia (3): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 walk
Mike Carp (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (3): .333/.333/.333, 2 RBIs
John McDonald has one double in three plate appearances against Chatwood.
No other Red Sox batters have faced Chatwood.
Rockies vs. Lackey (RHP)
Michael Cuddyer (24): .318/.375/.864, 4 HR, 6 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Yorvit Torrealba (14): .286/.286/.429, 2 doubles, 6 strikeouts
Carlos Gonzalez (12): .333/.333/.417, 1 double, 4 strikeouts
Todd Helton (11): .400/.455/.800, 1 HR, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Jonathan Herrera (4): .250/.250/.250, 1 strikeout
DJ LeMahieu (4): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Nolan Arenado (3): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Wilin Rosario (3): .667/.667/.1.000, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Josh Rutledge (3): .000/.000/.000
No other Rockies batters have faced Lackey.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller