A week later, Jonny Gomes still feels ‘awful’ about fan’s run-in with beer can
|09.27.13 at 11:35 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — Jonny Gomes still feels bad that his punted Bud Light beer can found the head of 74-year-old Greg Hanley during the Red Sox‘ celebration of their American League East crown last Friday night at Fenway Park.
But, after talking to the lifelong Red Sox fan, he found out Hanley was upset for an entirely different reason.
“I’m definitely bummed out that it happened. I reached out and talked the guy, Greg, for a while,” said Gomes prior to notching three hits (including his 13th home run) in the Red Sox’ 12-3 win over the Orioles. “He was actually mad that it did hit him because he played third base in high school and he played on the grass and he really does have good hands. He doesn’t want people to think he has bad hands. He’s taking it hard. He was like, ‘I used play third base. I used to play on the grass. I never played back.’”
Hanley, a Pittston resident who was tended to at Beth Israel Hospital after the incident, has been promised playoff tickets from Gomes, while also receiving a Red Sox jersey with a bevy of signatures (including Dustin Pedroia and David Ortiz).
“I feel awful that it happened, but he reassured me that he’s actually bummed out he got hit because he’s got good hands,” Gomes said. “We’ve got him locked in. I told him if he comes to another game there might be another celebration. He said he would be ready.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes