A week later, Jonny Gomes still feels ‘awful’ about fan’s run-in with beer can
|09.27.13 at 11:35 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — Jonny Gomes still feels bad that his punted Bud Light beer can found the head of 74-year-old Greg Hanley during the Red Sox‘ celebration of their American League East crown last Friday night at Fenway Park.
But, after talking to the lifelong Red Sox fan, he found out Hanley was upset for an entirely different reason.
“I’m definitely bummed out that it happened. I reached out and talked the guy, Greg, for a while,” said Gomes prior to notching three hits (including his 13th home run) in the Red Sox’ 12-3 win over the Orioles. “He was actually mad that it did hit him because he played third base in high school and he played on the grass and he really does have good hands. He doesn’t want people to think he has bad hands. He’s taking it hard. He was like, ‘I used play third base. I used to play on the grass. I never played back.’”
Hanley, a Pittston resident who was tended to at Beth Israel Hospital after the incident, has been promised playoff tickets from Gomes, while also receiving a Red Sox jersey with a bevy of signatures (including Dustin Pedroia and David Ortiz).
“I feel awful that it happened, but he reassured me that he’s actually bummed out he got hit because he’s got good hands,” Gomes said. “We’ve got him locked in. I told him if he comes to another game there might be another celebration. He said he would be ready.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo powers Salem, Lowell's hopes dashed in heartbreaking loss
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi walk-off bomb keeps Drive in hunt
- Updated: Espinoza to Greenville, Allen to Lowell highlight GCL promotions
- Scouting Scratch: Javier Guerra, Michael Chavis, Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox capture second straight league title
- Notes from the Field: Spruill, Marrero, Hernandez in Allentown
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener