Friday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Scott Feldman
|09.27.13 at 10:50 am ET|
Clay Buchholz will get the call for Boston, making his fourth start since being activated off of the disabled list on Sept. 10 after missing three months with neck and shoulder issues.
The regular-season series between these two teams has been close this year, as Baltimore leads with nine wins in 16 games.
Buchholz (11-1, 1.60 ERA) has been great since his long-awaited return, as the Texas native has only allowed two earned runs in his last 17 innings of work.
Despite posting solid numbers of two earned runs in six innings during his last start on Saturday against the Blue Jays, Buchholz was bested by Toronto starter Mark Buehrle (six innings, five hits, one earned run) and picked up his first loss of the season in what ended up being a 4-2 Toronto victory.
Buchholz was the first Red Sox pitcher to go 11-0 in his first 14 starts of a season since Roger Clemens in 1986.
The last time Buchholz faced Baltimore was on April 8. Buchholz, as he’s seemingly been all season, was dominant, allowing three hits and zero runs over seven innings in what ended up being a 3-1 Red Sox win.
In 14 career starts against Baltimore, Buchholz is 8-3 with a 3.36 ERA and 1.29 WHIP.
Acquired from the Cubs on July 2, Feldman (12-11, 3.51 ERA) has been a solid addition to the Baltimore rotation with a 5-5 record and a 3.57 ERA in 14 starts.
After a few rough stretch in the middle of the season (5.12 ERA in July), Feldman has been sensational as of late, only allowing 12 earned runs over his last 50 innings.
Feldman last faced off against Boston on Sept. 17, when he only allowed one earned run over five innings but walked six batters in an eventual 3-2 Orioles victory.
In 10 games against Boston in his career, Feldman is 1-1 with a 4.09 ERA.
Red Sox vs. Feldman (RHP)
Mike Napoli (30 plate appearances): .407 BA/.467 OBP/.630 SLG, 2 home runs, 6 RBIs
Dustin Pedroia (15): .400/.400/.600, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
David Ortiz (13): .200/.385/.800, 2 home runs, 7 RBIs
Mike Carp (12): .364/.333/.455, 1 double, 1 RBI
Stephen Drew (10): .375/.500/.750, 1 home run, 3 RBIs
Jacoby Ellsbury (8): .375/.375/.375, 3 singles
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (8): .375/.375/.875, 1 double, 1 home run
Shane Victorino (6): .000/.167/.000, 1 RBI, 1 walk
John McDonald (3): .500/.667/1.000, 1 double, 1 RBI
Will Middlebrooks (3): .333/.333/667, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 strikeout
Xander Bogaerts has walked once in 2 plate appearances against Feldman.
Quintin Berry, Jackie Bradley Jr., Brock Holt, Ryan Lavarnway, David Ross, and Brandon Snyder have not faced Feldman.
Orioles vs. Buchholz (RHP)
Nick Markakis (41 plate appearances): .147 BA/.293 OBP/.147 SLG, 6 walks, 4 strikeouts
Adam Jones (31): .208/.267/.458, 1 home run, 8 RBIs
Matt Wieters (31): .222/.323/.296, 4 walks, 4 strikeouts
Brian Roberts (27): .364/.481/.500, 1 triple, 3 RBIs
Chris Davis (18): .200/.333/.467, 1 home run, 6 strikeouts
J.J. Hardy (17): .375/.412/.750, 2 home runs, 3 RBIs
Ryan Flaherty (9): .250/.333/.250, 2 strikeouts
Nate McLouth (7): .333/.429/.500, 1 double
Alexi Casilla (6): .600/.667/.600, 1 RBI
Dan Johnson (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Steve Pearce (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Danny Valencia (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeouts
Steve Clevenger, Chris Dickerson, Mike Morse, Jason Pridie, Chris Snyder, and Henry Urrutia have not faced Buchholz.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles