Friday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Scott Feldman
|09.27.13 at 10:50 am ET|
Clay Buchholz will get the call for Boston, making his fourth start since being activated off of the disabled list on Sept. 10 after missing three months with neck and shoulder issues.
The regular-season series between these two teams has been close this year, as Baltimore leads with nine wins in 16 games.
Buchholz (11-1, 1.60 ERA) has been great since his long-awaited return, as the Texas native has only allowed two earned runs in his last 17 innings of work.
Despite posting solid numbers of two earned runs in six innings during his last start on Saturday against the Blue Jays, Buchholz was bested by Toronto starter Mark Buehrle (six innings, five hits, one earned run) and picked up his first loss of the season in what ended up being a 4-2 Toronto victory.
Buchholz was the first Red Sox pitcher to go 11-0 in his first 14 starts of a season since Roger Clemens in 1986.
The last time Buchholz faced Baltimore was on April 8. Buchholz, as he’s seemingly been all season, was dominant, allowing three hits and zero runs over seven innings in what ended up being a 3-1 Red Sox win.
In 14 career starts against Baltimore, Buchholz is 8-3 with a 3.36 ERA and 1.29 WHIP.
Acquired from the Cubs on July 2, Feldman (12-11, 3.51 ERA) has been a solid addition to the Baltimore rotation with a 5-5 record and a 3.57 ERA in 14 starts.
After a few rough stretch in the middle of the season (5.12 ERA in July), Feldman has been sensational as of late, only allowing 12 earned runs over his last 50 innings.
Feldman last faced off against Boston on Sept. 17, when he only allowed one earned run over five innings but walked six batters in an eventual 3-2 Orioles victory.
In 10 games against Boston in his career, Feldman is 1-1 with a 4.09 ERA.
Red Sox vs. Feldman (RHP)
Mike Napoli (30 plate appearances): .407 BA/.467 OBP/.630 SLG, 2 home runs, 6 RBIs
Dustin Pedroia (15): .400/.400/.600, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
David Ortiz (13): .200/.385/.800, 2 home runs, 7 RBIs
Mike Carp (12): .364/.333/.455, 1 double, 1 RBI
Stephen Drew (10): .375/.500/.750, 1 home run, 3 RBIs
Jacoby Ellsbury (8): .375/.375/.375, 3 singles
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (8): .375/.375/.875, 1 double, 1 home run
Shane Victorino (6): .000/.167/.000, 1 RBI, 1 walk
John McDonald (3): .500/.667/1.000, 1 double, 1 RBI
Will Middlebrooks (3): .333/.333/667, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 strikeout
Xander Bogaerts has walked once in 2 plate appearances against Feldman.
Quintin Berry, Jackie Bradley Jr., Brock Holt, Ryan Lavarnway, David Ross, and Brandon Snyder have not faced Feldman.
Orioles vs. Buchholz (RHP)
Nick Markakis (41 plate appearances): .147 BA/.293 OBP/.147 SLG, 6 walks, 4 strikeouts
Adam Jones (31): .208/.267/.458, 1 home run, 8 RBIs
Matt Wieters (31): .222/.323/.296, 4 walks, 4 strikeouts
Brian Roberts (27): .364/.481/.500, 1 triple, 3 RBIs
Chris Davis (18): .200/.333/.467, 1 home run, 6 strikeouts
J.J. Hardy (17): .375/.412/.750, 2 home runs, 3 RBIs
Ryan Flaherty (9): .250/.333/.250, 2 strikeouts
Nate McLouth (7): .333/.429/.500, 1 double
Alexi Casilla (6): .600/.667/.600, 1 RBI
Dan Johnson (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Steve Pearce (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Danny Valencia (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeouts
Steve Clevenger, Chris Dickerson, Mike Morse, Jason Pridie, Chris Snyder, and Henry Urrutia have not faced Buchholz.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016