Red Sox clinch home field with Athletics’ loss to Mariners
|09.28.13 at 7:10 pm ET|
That happened Saturday night, just as the Red Sox’ game against the Orioles was getting underway, when the Athletics’ 7-5 loss to the Mariners went final. With the best record comes home field throughout the playoffs, as the AL gets home field in the World Series thanks to an All-Star Game victory.
The Red Sox will host the winner of Wednesday’s wild card play-in game in the American League Division Series, while the Athletics will host the Tigers. Both series are set to begin on Friday.
The Indians have clinched at least a wild-card tie, as they sit one game ahead of the Rays and Rangers with one day to go. If the season is to end that way, the Rangers would host the Rays in a tiebreaker game on Monday, with the winner traveling to Cleveland for Wednesday’s wild card game.
Should all three teams finish tied, it would take three games to decide the wild card. The Indians would host the Rays on Monday, with the winner advancing to Wednesday’s wild card game. The loser would travel to Texas to play the Rangers on Tuesday. Then the winner of that game would play the winner of Monday’s game on Wednesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates
- Weekly Notes: Greenville lineup turning heads
- Cup of Coffee: McGrath lights-out, Sea Dogs' bats back Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Perez helps GCL Red Sox clinch division
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi remains hot, Hernandez impressive for DSL Sox
- Podcast Ep. 83: Interview Special with Michael Chavis and Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada steals 40th, GCL Sox on brink of division