Red Sox clinch home field with Athletics’ loss to Mariners
|09.28.13 at 7:10 pm ET|
That happened Saturday night, just as the Red Sox’ game against the Orioles was getting underway, when the Athletics’ 7-5 loss to the Mariners went final. With the best record comes home field throughout the playoffs, as the AL gets home field in the World Series thanks to an All-Star Game victory.
The Red Sox will host the winner of Wednesday’s wild card play-in game in the American League Division Series, while the Athletics will host the Tigers. Both series are set to begin on Friday.
The Indians have clinched at least a wild-card tie, as they sit one game ahead of the Rays and Rangers with one day to go. If the season is to end that way, the Rangers would host the Rays in a tiebreaker game on Monday, with the winner traveling to Cleveland for Wednesday’s wild card game.
Should all three teams finish tied, it would take three games to decide the wild card. The Indians would host the Rays on Monday, with the winner advancing to Wednesday’s wild card game. The loser would travel to Texas to play the Rangers on Tuesday. Then the winner of that game would play the winner of Monday’s game on Wednesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens