Red Sox clinch home field with Athletics’ loss to Mariners
|09.28.13 at 7:10 pm ET|
That happened Saturday night, just as the Red Sox’ game against the Orioles was getting underway, when the Athletics’ 7-5 loss to the Mariners went final. With the best record comes home field throughout the playoffs, as the AL gets home field in the World Series thanks to an All-Star Game victory.
The Red Sox will host the winner of Wednesday’s wild card play-in game in the American League Division Series, while the Athletics will host the Tigers. Both series are set to begin on Friday.
The Indians have clinched at least a wild-card tie, as they sit one game ahead of the Rays and Rangers with one day to go. If the season is to end that way, the Rangers would host the Rays in a tiebreaker game on Monday, with the winner traveling to Cleveland for Wednesday’s wild card game.
Should all three teams finish tied, it would take three games to decide the wild card. The Indians would host the Rays on Monday, with the winner advancing to Wednesday’s wild card game. The loser would travel to Texas to play the Rangers on Tuesday. Then the winner of that game would play the winner of Monday’s game on Wednesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP