Red Sox clinch home field with Athletics’ loss to Mariners
|09.28.13 at 7:10 pm ET|
That happened Saturday night, just as the Red Sox’ game against the Orioles was getting underway, when the Athletics’ 7-5 loss to the Mariners went final. With the best record comes home field throughout the playoffs, as the AL gets home field in the World Series thanks to an All-Star Game victory.
The Red Sox will host the winner of Wednesday’s wild card play-in game in the American League Division Series, while the Athletics will host the Tigers. Both series are set to begin on Friday.
The Indians have clinched at least a wild-card tie, as they sit one game ahead of the Rays and Rangers with one day to go. If the season is to end that way, the Rangers would host the Rays in a tiebreaker game on Monday, with the winner traveling to Cleveland for Wednesday’s wild card game.
Should all three teams finish tied, it would take three games to decide the wild card. The Indians would host the Rays on Monday, with the winner advancing to Wednesday’s wild card game. The loser would travel to Texas to play the Rangers on Tuesday. Then the winner of that game would play the winner of Monday’s game on Wednesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Brian Johnson leads PawSox to shutout victory
- After slow start, Cecchini heating up at the plate, settling into left field
- Cup of Coffee: Watkins earns save after catching 14 innings
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Travis highlight tight Portland victory
- Cup of Coffee: Tejeda's big night pushes Portland past Fisher Cats
- 2015 Draft Recap: Benintendi a best-case scenario
- Podcast Ep. 81: Dropping in on the Drive, Darren Fenster interview
- Cup of Coffee: Owens solid again, Portland stages comeback