Saturday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Jon Lester vs. Wei-Yin Chen
|09.28.13 at 10:44 am ET|
Southpaw Wei-Yin Chen will take the mound for Baltimore, looking for his first win against Boston this year.
Lester (15-8, 3.67 ERA) has been rolling during the final stretch of the season, surrendering only 13 runs over his last 65 innings.
In his last start, on Sept. 20 against the Blue Jays, Lester was excellent, holding Toronto to just one earned run over seven innings in an eventual 6-3 win that clinched the AL East for the Red Sox, their first division title since 2007.
It was also a personal milestone for Lester, as he earned his 100th career win, just the 11th player, and third left-hander, to accomplish that feat with Boston.
“To go through some of the things we’ve gone through the past three years, injuries, nonsense and all the other stuff, to finally be back at this point is very rewarding,” Lester said after the game.
Lester’s last start against the Orioles was on Aug. 28, and it was the last time the left-hander lost a game this season. Lester lasted six innings, his shortest total over his last nine starts, giving up three earned runs while walking four batters in what ended up being a 3-2 Orioles victory.
In 24 career starts against Baltimore, Lester is 15-3 with a 2.80 ERA and a 1.28 WHIP.
It’s been a frustrating month for Chen (7-7, 4.03 ERA), as the left hander has received a no-decision in his last five starts.
Chen’s last two appearances against Boston have not gone well, as he allowed eight earned runs in 3 2/3 innings on Aug. 27 and followed that up by surrendering 11 hits and three earned runs in 5 2/3 innings on Sept. 18.
In six career games against the Red Sox, Chen is 2-2 with a 5.08 ERA.
Red Sox vs. Chen (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (18 plate appearances): .563 BA/.611 OBP/.938 SLG, 4 doubles, 1 triple
Will Middlebrooks (14): .429/.429/.500, 1 double, 4 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (13): .182/.308/.455, 1 home run, 1 RBI
David Ortiz (12): .200/.250/.500, 1 home run, 4 RBIs
Jacoby Ellsbury (10): .300/.300/.300, 3 singles, 1 strikeout
Shane Victorino (9): .571/.667/1.000, 1 home run, 2 RBI
Mike Napoli (8): .375/.375/1.250, 2 home run, 2 RBIs
David Ross (7): .143/.143/.143, 1 single, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (6): .400/.500/1.000, 1 home run, 3 RBIs
Stephen Drew (5): .250/.400/.250, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (5): .400/.400/.400, 2 singles
Quintin Berry (4): .250/.250/.500, 1 double
Ryan Lavarnway (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 single
Brandon Snyder (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Xander Bogaerts, Jackie Bradley Jr., Mike Carp, Brock Holt and John McDonald have not faced Chen.
Orioles vs. Lester (LHP)
Nick Markakis (67 plate appearances): .222/.269/.317, 6 doubles, 14 strikeouts
Adam Jones (58): .300/.397/.360, 3 doubles, 20 strikeouts
Brian Roberts (48): .209/.292/.419, 6 doubles, 10 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (45): .333/.378/.452, 3 doubles, 7 RBIs
J.J. Hardy (25): .250/.280/.500, 1 triple, 1 home run
Chris Davis (23): .136/.174/.364, 2 doubles, 6 strikeouts
Danny Valencia (14): .286/.286/.643, 2 doubles, 1 home run
Alexi Casilla (10): .000/.200/.000, 2 walks
Steve Pearce (8): .000/.125/.000, 1 RBI, 5 strikeouts
Nate McLouth (7): .000/.143/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Dan Johnson (3): .667/.667/.667, 2 singles
Mike Morse (3): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Chris Snyder (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Steve Clevenger, Chris Dickerson, Ryan Flaherty, Jason Pridie, Jonathan Schoop and Henry Urrutia have not faced Lester.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?