Jon Lester, John Lackey expected to start Games 1 and 2 with Clay Buchholz, Jake Peavy to pitch in simulated game on Wednesday
|09.29.13 at 6:47 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — In a step that may point towards Jon Lester and John Lackey serving as the Games 1 and 2 starters in the American League Division Series, the Red Sox will have their other anticipated ALDS starters — Clay Buchholz and Jake Peavy — pitching in the team’s simulated game on Wednesday, according to team sources. With Games 1 and 2 scheduled for Friday and Saturday, the employment of Buchholz (who started on Friday) would seem at least slightly atypical if either pitcher was starting with two days of rest thereafter — particularly given that pitching coach Juan Nieves said after Buchholz’s last regular season start on Friday that he believed the right-hander could use “a little recharge entering the postseason.
“Probably just doing it to stay in game mode. Better than throwing a bullpen,” suggested Buchholz of the participation in Wednesday’s baseball activities.
Lester has long been viewed as a likely Game 1 starter. Buchholz was dominant both at Fenway and on the road, going 6-1 with a 1.99 ERA in Boston and 6-0 with a 1.40 ERA as a visitor. Meanwhile, given Lackey’s dramatic home/road splits (a 6-3 record and 2.47 ERA in 13 starts at Fenway, and a 4-10 record and 4.48 ERA on the road), there would seem to be a strong argument for having him start one of the first two games (both at home) of the Division Series.
‘It’s clear, it’s evident, and it’s something we’re factoring into it. In the coming days, we’ll have that outlined, who and where they’re going to start,’ said Farrell.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- SoxProspects.com 2014 season-end award winners
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #64: Playing Out the Stretch
- Weekly Notes: Prospects flock to Boston
- 2014 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game
- The Write-Up: Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Couch leads PawSox to Series win
- Cup of Coffee: Owens struggles, pushing PawSox to the brink
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket drops game two in extras