Jon Lester, John Lackey expected to start Games 1 and 2 with Clay Buchholz, Jake Peavy to pitch in simulated game on Wednesday
|09.29.13 at 6:47 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — In a step that may point towards Jon Lester and John Lackey serving as the Games 1 and 2 starters in the American League Division Series, the Red Sox will have their other anticipated ALDS starters — Clay Buchholz and Jake Peavy — pitching in the team’s simulated game on Wednesday, according to team sources. With Games 1 and 2 scheduled for Friday and Saturday, the employment of Buchholz (who started on Friday) would seem at least slightly atypical if either pitcher was starting with two days of rest thereafter — particularly given that pitching coach Juan Nieves said after Buchholz’s last regular season start on Friday that he believed the right-hander could use “a little recharge entering the postseason.
“Probably just doing it to stay in game mode. Better than throwing a bullpen,” suggested Buchholz of the participation in Wednesday’s baseball activities.
Lester has long been viewed as a likely Game 1 starter. Buchholz was dominant both at Fenway and on the road, going 6-1 with a 1.99 ERA in Boston and 6-0 with a 1.40 ERA as a visitor. Meanwhile, given Lackey’s dramatic home/road splits (a 6-3 record and 2.47 ERA in 13 starts at Fenway, and a 4-10 record and 4.48 ERA on the road), there would seem to be a strong argument for having him start one of the first two games (both at home) of the Division Series.
‘It’s clear, it’s evident, and it’s something we’re factoring into it. In the coming days, we’ll have that outlined, who and where they’re going to start,’ said Farrell.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome