Jon Lester, John Lackey expected to start Games 1 and 2 with Clay Buchholz, Jake Peavy to pitch in simulated game on Wednesday
|09.29.13 at 6:47 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — In a step that may point towards Jon Lester and John Lackey serving as the Games 1 and 2 starters in the American League Division Series, the Red Sox will have their other anticipated ALDS starters — Clay Buchholz and Jake Peavy — pitching in the team’s simulated game on Wednesday, according to team sources. With Games 1 and 2 scheduled for Friday and Saturday, the employment of Buchholz (who started on Friday) would seem at least slightly atypical if either pitcher was starting with two days of rest thereafter — particularly given that pitching coach Juan Nieves said after Buchholz’s last regular season start on Friday that he believed the right-hander could use “a little recharge entering the postseason.
“Probably just doing it to stay in game mode. Better than throwing a bullpen,” suggested Buchholz of the participation in Wednesday’s baseball activities.
Lester has long been viewed as a likely Game 1 starter. Buchholz was dominant both at Fenway and on the road, going 6-1 with a 1.99 ERA in Boston and 6-0 with a 1.40 ERA as a visitor. Meanwhile, given Lackey’s dramatic home/road splits (a 6-3 record and 2.47 ERA in 13 starts at Fenway, and a 4-10 record and 4.48 ERA on the road), there would seem to be a strong argument for having him start one of the first two games (both at home) of the Division Series.
‘It’s clear, it’s evident, and it’s something we’re factoring into it. In the coming days, we’ll have that outlined, who and where they’re going to start,’ said Farrell.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016