Jon Lester, John Lackey expected to start Games 1 and 2 with Clay Buchholz, Jake Peavy to pitch in simulated game on Wednesday
|09.29.13 at 6:47 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — In a step that may point towards Jon Lester and John Lackey serving as the Games 1 and 2 starters in the American League Division Series, the Red Sox will have their other anticipated ALDS starters — Clay Buchholz and Jake Peavy — pitching in the team’s simulated game on Wednesday, according to team sources. With Games 1 and 2 scheduled for Friday and Saturday, the employment of Buchholz (who started on Friday) would seem at least slightly atypical if either pitcher was starting with two days of rest thereafter — particularly given that pitching coach Juan Nieves said after Buchholz’s last regular season start on Friday that he believed the right-hander could use “a little recharge entering the postseason.
“Probably just doing it to stay in game mode. Better than throwing a bullpen,” suggested Buchholz of the participation in Wednesday’s baseball activities.
Lester has long been viewed as a likely Game 1 starter. Buchholz was dominant both at Fenway and on the road, going 6-1 with a 1.99 ERA in Boston and 6-0 with a 1.40 ERA as a visitor. Meanwhile, given Lackey’s dramatic home/road splits (a 6-3 record and 2.47 ERA in 13 starts at Fenway, and a 4-10 record and 4.48 ERA on the road), there would seem to be a strong argument for having him start one of the first two games (both at home) of the Division Series.
‘It’s clear, it’s evident, and it’s something we’re factoring into it. In the coming days, we’ll have that outlined, who and where they’re going to start,’ said Farrell.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss