Rays, Rangers have one-game play-in to face Indians in wild card
|09.29.13 at 7:21 pm ET|
The Indians, Rangers and Rays all won in their regular-season finales on Sunday. The Indians, with a 92-70 record, claimed one of the wild card spots. But the Rays and Rangers both finished with 91-71 records, and so they will have a one-game tiebreaker in Texas on Monday, with the winner of that contest heading to Cleveland for Wednesday’s wild card game.
The Indians will have Danny Salazar on the mound in Wednesday’s wild card game. Conceivably, they could bring Ubaldo Jimenez — who punched out 13 in 6 2/3 innings of one-run ball on Sunday — back on four days’ rest on Friday if they advance to the ALDS. Rangers ace Yu Darvish pitched on Sunday, and so he would be available as an ALDS Game 1 starter on four days’ rest as well; Texas could also use left-hander Derek Holland (who pitched on Saturday) for a Game 1 with Darvish starting a potential Game 2.
The Rays had Matt Moore pitching on Sunday, so he likely would be in line for an ALDS opener. David Price is pitching in Monday’s one-game tiebreaker for Tampa Bay, while Martin Perez, according to the Dallas Morning News, is expected to pitch on Monday for Texas.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles