Rays, Rangers have one-game play-in to face Indians in wild card
|09.29.13 at 7:21 pm ET|
The Indians, Rangers and Rays all won in their regular-season finales on Sunday. The Indians, with a 92-70 record, claimed one of the wild card spots. But the Rays and Rangers both finished with 91-71 records, and so they will have a one-game tiebreaker in Texas on Monday, with the winner of that contest heading to Cleveland for Wednesday’s wild card game.
The Indians will have Danny Salazar on the mound in Wednesday’s wild card game. Conceivably, they could bring Ubaldo Jimenez — who punched out 13 in 6 2/3 innings of one-run ball on Sunday — back on four days’ rest on Friday if they advance to the ALDS. Rangers ace Yu Darvish pitched on Sunday, and so he would be available as an ALDS Game 1 starter on four days’ rest as well; Texas could also use left-hander Derek Holland (who pitched on Saturday) for a Game 1 with Darvish starting a potential Game 2.
The Rays had Matt Moore pitching on Sunday, so he likely would be in line for an ALDS opener. David Price is pitching in Monday’s one-game tiebreaker for Tampa Bay, while Martin Perez, according to the Dallas Morning News, is expected to pitch on Monday for Texas.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two