Rays, Rangers have one-game play-in to face Indians in wild card
|09.29.13 at 7:21 pm ET|
The Indians, Rangers and Rays all won in their regular-season finales on Sunday. The Indians, with a 92-70 record, claimed one of the wild card spots. But the Rays and Rangers both finished with 91-71 records, and so they will have a one-game tiebreaker in Texas on Monday, with the winner of that contest heading to Cleveland for Wednesday’s wild card game.
The Indians will have Danny Salazar on the mound in Wednesday’s wild card game. Conceivably, they could bring Ubaldo Jimenez — who punched out 13 in 6 2/3 innings of one-run ball on Sunday — back on four days’ rest on Friday if they advance to the ALDS. Rangers ace Yu Darvish pitched on Sunday, and so he would be available as an ALDS Game 1 starter on four days’ rest as well; Texas could also use left-hander Derek Holland (who pitched on Saturday) for a Game 1 with Darvish starting a potential Game 2.
The Rays had Matt Moore pitching on Sunday, so he likely would be in line for an ALDS opener. David Price is pitching in Monday’s one-game tiebreaker for Tampa Bay, while Martin Perez, according to the Dallas Morning News, is expected to pitch on Monday for Texas.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston