Rays, Rangers have one-game play-in to face Indians in wild card
|09.29.13 at 7:21 pm ET|
The Indians, Rangers and Rays all won in their regular-season finales on Sunday. The Indians, with a 92-70 record, claimed one of the wild card spots. But the Rays and Rangers both finished with 91-71 records, and so they will have a one-game tiebreaker in Texas on Monday, with the winner of that contest heading to Cleveland for Wednesday’s wild card game.
The Indians will have Danny Salazar on the mound in Wednesday’s wild card game. Conceivably, they could bring Ubaldo Jimenez — who punched out 13 in 6 2/3 innings of one-run ball on Sunday — back on four days’ rest on Friday if they advance to the ALDS. Rangers ace Yu Darvish pitched on Sunday, and so he would be available as an ALDS Game 1 starter on four days’ rest as well; Texas could also use left-hander Derek Holland (who pitched on Saturday) for a Game 1 with Darvish starting a potential Game 2.
The Rays had Matt Moore pitching on Sunday, so he likely would be in line for an ALDS opener. David Price is pitching in Monday’s one-game tiebreaker for Tampa Bay, while Martin Perez, according to the Dallas Morning News, is expected to pitch on Monday for Texas.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts