Cubs fire former Red Sox managerial candidate Dale Sveum
|09.30.13 at 1:58 pm ET|
In November 2011, Dale Sveum appeared to be the frontrunner for the managerial vacancy in Boston after the departure of Terry Francona. But when Sveum met with Red Sox team owners at the GM meetings in Milwaukee, the owners were not ready to extend an offer to the then-Brewers bench coach, and so the Cubs swooped in and hired the former Sox third base coach. That, in turn, led to a search that resulted in the Sox’ ill-fated hiring of Bobby Valentine for one season, before Valentine was fired and replaced by John Farrell.
While it wasn’t as stormy as Valentine’s tenure, Sveum’s time in Chicago has now likewise reached a conclusion. After a last-place finish in the National League Central, including losses in 41 of their final 59 games, the Cubs on Monday announced the firing of manager Dale Sveum.
Sveum, a former Red Sox coach, finishes with a 127-197 record in two seasons at the helm in Chicago. The Cubs finished 66-96 this year. Sveum had one year remaining on the three-year deal he signed before the 2012 season.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi is reportedly a candidate to replace Sveum. A Chicago-area native who played college ball at Northwestern and broke into the majors as a catcher with the Cubs in 1989, Girardi was rumored to be a target when the position was vacant two years ago as well, but he was entering the second year of a three-year contract that expires this offseason.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Spring training games begin
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals