Cubs fire former Red Sox managerial candidate Dale Sveum
|09.30.13 at 1:58 pm ET|
In November 2011, Dale Sveum appeared to be the frontrunner for the managerial vacancy in Boston after the departure of Terry Francona. But when Sveum met with Red Sox team owners at the GM meetings in Milwaukee, the owners were not ready to extend an offer to the then-Brewers bench coach, and so the Cubs swooped in and hired the former Sox third base coach. That, in turn, led to a search that resulted in the Sox’ ill-fated hiring of Bobby Valentine for one season, before Valentine was fired and replaced by John Farrell.
While it wasn’t as stormy as Valentine’s tenure, Sveum’s time in Chicago has now likewise reached a conclusion. After a last-place finish in the National League Central, including losses in 41 of their final 59 games, the Cubs on Monday announced the firing of manager Dale Sveum.
Sveum, a former Red Sox coach, finishes with a 127-197 record in two seasons at the helm in Chicago. The Cubs finished 66-96 this year. Sveum had one year remaining on the three-year deal he signed before the 2012 season.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi is reportedly a candidate to replace Sveum. A Chicago-area native who played college ball at Northwestern and broke into the majors as a catcher with the Cubs in 1989, Girardi was rumored to be a target when the position was vacant two years ago as well, but he was entering the second year of a three-year contract that expires this offseason.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Notes from the Field: Devers power display highlights afternoon Drive
- Cup of Coffee: Henry Owens gets back on track
- Red Sox to field two DSL teams for first time since 2003
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- April Players of the Month: Manuel Margot and Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Devers stays hot; Augliera, Gragnani lead Portland
- Weekly Notes: Swihart makes major league debut
- Cup of Coffee: Rafael Devers explodes at the plate, Brian Johnson stumbles
- Cup of Coffee: Aro throws four perfect innings, Rodriguez improves to 3-0
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas tosses Portland past Reading