Cubs fire former Red Sox managerial candidate Dale Sveum
|09.30.13 at 1:58 pm ET|
In November 2011, Dale Sveum appeared to be the frontrunner for the managerial vacancy in Boston after the departure of Terry Francona. But when Sveum met with Red Sox team owners at the GM meetings in Milwaukee, the owners were not ready to extend an offer to the then-Brewers bench coach, and so the Cubs swooped in and hired the former Sox third base coach. That, in turn, led to a search that resulted in the Sox’ ill-fated hiring of Bobby Valentine for one season, before Valentine was fired and replaced by John Farrell.
While it wasn’t as stormy as Valentine’s tenure, Sveum’s time in Chicago has now likewise reached a conclusion. After a last-place finish in the National League Central, including losses in 41 of their final 59 games, the Cubs on Monday announced the firing of manager Dale Sveum.
Sveum, a former Red Sox coach, finishes with a 127-197 record in two seasons at the helm in Chicago. The Cubs finished 66-96 this year. Sveum had one year remaining on the three-year deal he signed before the 2012 season.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi is reportedly a candidate to replace Sveum. A Chicago-area native who played college ball at Northwestern and broke into the majors as a catcher with the Cubs in 1989, Girardi was rumored to be a target when the position was vacant two years ago as well, but he was entering the second year of a three-year contract that expires this offseason.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome