Rays beat Rangers to advance to wild card game against Indians
|09.30.13 at 11:19 pm ET|
And then there were two.
The Red Sox‘ potential first-round opponent is now down to two teams after the Rays beat the Rangers, 5-2, in a Game 163 tiebreaker to earn a spot in Wednesday’s American League wild card game against the Indians. The winner of Wednesday’s game in Cleveland will advance to the American League Division Series to face Boston on Friday.
The Rays were, in many ways, carried by their stars. David Price dominated on the strength of his characteristically overpowering fastball, throwing a complete game (his fourth of the year) while limiting the Rangers to two runs on seven hits (three doubles, four singles). He filled up the strike zone with 73 of his 108 offerings (68 percent). The left-hander punched out four and walked just one.
Though he allowed baserunners in six of his nine innings, Texas went just 2-for-9 against him with runners in scoring position. He also picked a pair of runners off first base to help shut down the Rangers’ rallies. Price finished the regular season with a 10-8 record and 3.32 ERA, including a 2.53 record in 18 starts after he returned from the DL in early July. If the Rays advance, Price likely would be available for Game 2 of the ALDS against the Red Sox. The Tampa Bay offense, meanwhile, was carried by slugger Evan Longoria, who went 3-for-4 with a single, double, walk and a two-run homer, his 32nd of the year.
The Rays are in the postseason for the fourth time in six years. Right-hander Alex Cobb is expected to start against the Indians on Wednesday, with Danny Salazar pitching for Cleveland.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez gets into a groove, Basabe impresses
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Dayan Diaz and Edwin Escobar (UPDATED)
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen