Jon Lester gets Game 1 start, John Lackey in Game 2 for Red Sox
|10.02.13 at 5:19 pm ET|
In his weekly appearance on WEEI’s Salk & Holley, Red Sox manager John Farrell announced the team’s starting rotation for the American League Division Series.
Game 1: Jon Lester
Game 2: John Lackey
Game 3: Clay Buchholz
Game 4 (if necessary): Jake Peavy
Game 5 (if necessary): Jon Lester
Farrell had said for the last few weeks that he had a pretty good idea who his Game 1 starter would be, but that he wasn’t ready to announce it in case something changed.
On Sunday, WEEI.com’s Alex Speier reported that Buchholz and Peavy would be pitching in Wednesday’s simulated game, indicating that Lester and Lackey would start Games 1 and 2.
Farrell confirmed that Lackey’s home-road splits were taken into account. Lackey went 6-3 with a 2.47 ERA and 1.03 WHIP at home this season, but he was just 4-10 with a 4.48 ERA and 1.27 WHIP on the road.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #61: Wild Turkeys, July 2, and the Draft
- Cup of Coffee: Owens stays strong; Ball delivers best yet