Kevin Millar on M&M: ‘Rays are a scary, scary club’
|10.04.13 at 12:48 pm ET|
MLB Network analyst Kevin Millar joined Mut & Merloni on Friday to preview the ALDS between the Red Sox and Rays.
Millar said his biggest concern regarding the Red Sox is their four-day layoff, while the Rays have played twice in that span.
“I’d rather be the Rays,” Millar said. “That’s the routine that we’re in — two different countries, four different cities, playing baseball, elimination games, and then they get a chance to throw Matt Moore against them? A 17-game winner? That’s the scary thing. The Rays are a scary, scary club.
“The good news for the Red Sox is that they know each other. They know the strengths, they know the weaknesses. But right now, it’s going to be nice if the Red Sox can get out to a nice two-run lead, the double off the Green Monster by somebody to get this crowd fired up, and know that your timing at the plate is back.”
Jon Lester faces Moore in Game 1 Friday afternoon.
“It’s going to be a good little game, I think,” Millar said. “I don’t think you’re going to see balls flying out of the yard tonight. I think Lester and Moore will throw a nice game. The advantage is Jon Lester. But stay away from Evan Longoria. ‘¦ If you see Evan Longoria go deep tonight, shame on you, Sox.”
Koji Uehara has had a record-setting season as Red Sox closer. While Uehara usually starts the ninth inning, manager John Farrell has said he won’t hesitate to use the 38-year-old for more than three outs in the postseason, and Millar agrees.
“I think you ride the hot hand,” Millar said. “He’s been unbelievable. Can’t take anything away from him. He’s been unbelievable. … Keep riding him. Throw him five, six outs, whatever it is. Do whatever you can to win the game that night.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve
- Cup of Coffee: Barnes impresses in shutout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Monge, Margot, and Mookie keep mashing
- Cup of Coffee: Couch dominates Richmond
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez dominates while Kukuk and Ball struggle