David Ortiz, David Price bury the hatchet after home run controversy
|10.06.13 at 8:06 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. ‘ Saturday night, David Price exuded some frustration regarding David Ortiz‘ reaction to the designated hitter’s eighth-inning home run in Game 2 of the American League Division Series.
‘He knows how I’ve pitched him the last year and a half, probably two years. He steps in the bucket and he hits a homer, and he stares at it to see if it’s fair or foul,’ Price said after his Rays’ 7-4 loss to the Red Sox. ‘I’m sure that’s what he’d say. But as soon as he hit it and I saw it, I knew it was fair. Run.’
Following the Red Sox’ workout at Tropicana Field Sunday, Ortiz said the matter was closed.
‘It’s over,’ the DH said. ‘You know, we talked. We straightened things out. I have a lot of respect for David and he does the same for me. I’m not going to make a big deal out of this. I understand his frustration. He’s a good pitcher. He’s a guy that wants to see results every time we go out there. Sometimes things get out of hand. When you don’t see those results, you feel sometimes frustrated about them. But everything’s fine.’
Asked who initiated the conversation, Ortiz said, ‘We talked. It doesn’t matter how we go to talk but we did. We talked.’
Price had also taken to Twitter in combative fashion, taking on fans and media, alike.
Sunday the lefty attempted to defuse the situation.
Last night got out of hand and I apologize for the things that I said on here…if I offended you I am very sorry for doing so…#thatsnotme
‘ David Price (@DAVIDprice14) October 6, 2013
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Brian Johnson leads PawSox to shutout victory
- After slow start, Cecchini heating up at the plate, settling into left field
- Cup of Coffee: Watkins earns save after catching 14 innings
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Travis highlight tight Portland victory
- Cup of Coffee: Tejeda's big night pushes Portland past Fisher Cats
- 2015 Draft Recap: Benintendi a best-case scenario
- Podcast Ep. 81: Dropping in on the Drive, Darren Fenster interview
- Cup of Coffee: Owens solid again, Portland stages comeback