David Ortiz, David Price bury the hatchet after home run controversy
|10.06.13 at 8:06 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – Saturday night, David Price exuded some frustration regarding David Ortiz’ reaction to the designated hitter’s eighth-inning home run in Game 2 of the American League Division Series.
“He knows how I’ve pitched him the last year and a half, probably two years. He steps in the bucket and he hits a homer, and he stares at it to see if it’s fair or foul,” Price said after his Rays’ 7-4 loss to the Red Sox. “I’m sure that’s what he’d say. But as soon as he hit it and I saw it, I knew it was fair. Run.”
Following the Red Sox’ workout at Tropicana Field Sunday, Ortiz said the matter was closed.
“It’s over,” the DH said. “You know, we talked. We straightened things out. I have a lot of respect for David and he does the same for me. I’m not going to make a big deal out of this. I understand his frustration. He’s a good pitcher. He’s a guy that wants to see results every time we go out there. Sometimes things get out of hand. When you don’t see those results, you feel sometimes frustrated about them. But everything’s fine.”
Asked who initiated the conversation, Ortiz said, “We talked. It doesn’t matter how we go to talk but we did. We talked.”
Price had also taken to Twitter in combative fashion, taking on fans and media, alike.
Sunday the lefty attempted to defuse the situation.
Last night got out of hand and I apologize for the things that I said on here…if I offended you I am very sorry for doing so…#thatsnotme
— David Price (@DAVIDprice14) October 6, 2013
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder
- Cecchini, Ranaudo, Brentz added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox 40-man roster additions expected
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Surprise wins title, struggles continue for Webster