David Ortiz, David Price bury the hatchet after home run controversy
|10.06.13 at 8:06 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. ‘ Saturday night, David Price exuded some frustration regarding David Ortiz‘ reaction to the designated hitter’s eighth-inning home run in Game 2 of the American League Division Series.
‘He knows how I’ve pitched him the last year and a half, probably two years. He steps in the bucket and he hits a homer, and he stares at it to see if it’s fair or foul,’ Price said after his Rays’ 7-4 loss to the Red Sox. ‘I’m sure that’s what he’d say. But as soon as he hit it and I saw it, I knew it was fair. Run.’
Following the Red Sox’ workout at Tropicana Field Sunday, Ortiz said the matter was closed.
‘It’s over,’ the DH said. ‘You know, we talked. We straightened things out. I have a lot of respect for David and he does the same for me. I’m not going to make a big deal out of this. I understand his frustration. He’s a good pitcher. He’s a guy that wants to see results every time we go out there. Sometimes things get out of hand. When you don’t see those results, you feel sometimes frustrated about them. But everything’s fine.’
Asked who initiated the conversation, Ortiz said, ‘We talked. It doesn’t matter how we go to talk but we did. We talked.’
Price had also taken to Twitter in combative fashion, taking on fans and media, alike.
Sunday the lefty attempted to defuse the situation.
Last night got out of hand and I apologize for the things that I said on here…if I offended you I am very sorry for doing so…#thatsnotme
‘ David Price (@DAVIDprice14) October 6, 2013
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia
- Betts, Castillo highlight Red Sox Rookie Development Program participants