John Farrell on Salk & Holley: Jon Lester expected to start Game 1, Red Sox to determine rotation thereafter
|10.09.13 at 10:54 pm ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell, in his weekly interview on WEEI’s Salk & Holley show, said that left-hander Jon Lester will “probably lead off” as the Sox’ Game 1 starter in the American League Championship Series, the same spot he occupied in the American League Division Series against the Rays when he allowed two runs on three hits in seven innings for a win. However, Farrell suggested that the Sox were still deciding the order of the potential rotation behind Lester, with the identity of the team’s ALCS opponent — the Tigers or Athletics — leaving some question about who will start at home in Game 2 and who will pitch after that.
“After we go from [Lester], I think we’ll take a look at things as we move forward,” Farrell said.
While the Red Sox used John Lackey as their Game 2 starter in the first round due to his considerable success at home (6-3, 2.47 ERA at Fenway; 4-10, 4.48 ERA on the road), Farrell noted that the fact that Lackey has enjoyed a long track record of strong performances in Oakland (seven innings and two runs in a win this year; 9-5, 2.83 ERA in O.co Coliseum in 18 career starts) could be a factor in deciding how to deploy the starters in the next round of the playoffs. (Lackey is 4-1 with a 3.83 ERA in six career starts in Detroit.)
To listen to the complete interview, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Dubon taking journey from Honduras to the majors one stop at a time
- The Write-Up: Clay Buchholz
- Fort Report: Cuts, injuries and positional battles
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system