John Farrell on Salk & Holley: Jon Lester expected to start Game 1, Red Sox to determine rotation thereafter
|10.09.13 at 10:54 pm ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell, in his weekly interview on WEEI’s Salk & Holley show, said that left-hander Jon Lester will “probably lead off” as the Sox’ Game 1 starter in the American League Championship Series, the same spot he occupied in the American League Division Series against the Rays when he allowed two runs on three hits in seven innings for a win. However, Farrell suggested that the Sox were still deciding the order of the potential rotation behind Lester, with the identity of the team’s ALCS opponent — the Tigers or Athletics — leaving some question about who will start at home in Game 2 and who will pitch after that.
“After we go from [Lester], I think we’ll take a look at things as we move forward,” Farrell said.
While the Red Sox used John Lackey as their Game 2 starter in the first round due to his considerable success at home (6-3, 2.47 ERA at Fenway; 4-10, 4.48 ERA on the road), Farrell noted that the fact that Lackey has enjoyed a long track record of strong performances in Oakland (seven innings and two runs in a win this year; 9-5, 2.83 ERA in O.co Coliseum in 18 career starts) could be a factor in deciding how to deploy the starters in the next round of the playoffs. (Lackey is 4-1 with a 3.83 ERA in six career starts in Detroit.)
To listen to the complete interview, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs