John Farrell on Salk & Holley: Jon Lester expected to start Game 1, Red Sox to determine rotation thereafter
|10.09.13 at 10:54 pm ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell, in his weekly interview on WEEI’s Salk & Holley show, said that left-hander Jon Lester will “probably lead off” as the Sox’ Game 1 starter in the American League Championship Series, the same spot he occupied in the American League Division Series against the Rays when he allowed two runs on three hits in seven innings for a win. However, Farrell suggested that the Sox were still deciding the order of the potential rotation behind Lester, with the identity of the team’s ALCS opponent — the Tigers or Athletics — leaving some question about who will start at home in Game 2 and who will pitch after that.
“After we go from [Lester], I think we’ll take a look at things as we move forward,” Farrell said.
While the Red Sox used John Lackey as their Game 2 starter in the first round due to his considerable success at home (6-3, 2.47 ERA at Fenway; 4-10, 4.48 ERA on the road), Farrell noted that the fact that Lackey has enjoyed a long track record of strong performances in Oakland (seven innings and two runs in a win this year; 9-5, 2.83 ERA in O.co Coliseum in 18 career starts) could be a factor in deciding how to deploy the starters in the next round of the playoffs. (Lackey is 4-1 with a 3.83 ERA in six career starts in Detroit.)
To listen to the complete interview, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance