John Farrell on Salk & Holley: Jon Lester expected to start Game 1, Red Sox to determine rotation thereafter
|10.09.13 at 10:54 pm ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell, in his weekly interview on WEEI’s Salk & Holley show, said that left-hander Jon Lester will “probably lead off” as the Sox’ Game 1 starter in the American League Championship Series, the same spot he occupied in the American League Division Series against the Rays when he allowed two runs on three hits in seven innings for a win. However, Farrell suggested that the Sox were still deciding the order of the potential rotation behind Lester, with the identity of the team’s ALCS opponent — the Tigers or Athletics — leaving some question about who will start at home in Game 2 and who will pitch after that.
“After we go from [Lester], I think we’ll take a look at things as we move forward,” Farrell said.
While the Red Sox used John Lackey as their Game 2 starter in the first round due to his considerable success at home (6-3, 2.47 ERA at Fenway; 4-10, 4.48 ERA on the road), Farrell noted that the fact that Lackey has enjoyed a long track record of strong performances in Oakland (seven innings and two runs in a win this year; 9-5, 2.83 ERA in O.co Coliseum in 18 career starts) could be a factor in deciding how to deploy the starters in the next round of the playoffs. (Lackey is 4-1 with a 3.83 ERA in six career starts in Detroit.)
To listen to the complete interview, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven