Justin Verlander helps make it official: Red Sox to take on Tigers in American League Championship Series
|10.10.13 at 11:34 pm ET|
Detroit, which claimed a 4-3 advantage over the Red Sox in the teams’ regular season series, travel from Oakland to Boston, where it will prepare for Game 1 at Fenway Park Saturday at 8:07 p.m.
The rest of the series will follow this schedule: Game 3, Tuesday at Detroit, 4:07 p.m.; Game 4, Wednesday at Detroit, 8:07 p.m.; Game 5, Thursday (if necessary) at Detroit, 8:07 p.m.; Game 6, Saturday, Oct. 19 (if necessary), at Boston, 4:37 p.m. (shifts to 8:07 p.m. if NLCS is completed); Game 7, Sunday, Oct. 20 (if necessary), at Boston, 8:07 p.m.
Verlander finished his night pitching eight innings, surrendering just two hits while striking out 10 and walking one.
The righty starter retired his first 16 batters before issuing a one-out walk to Josh Reddick in the sixth inning. Yoenis Cespedes notched the A’s first hit on a ground ball up the middle with two outs in the seventh inning.
The Tigers’ first offensive strike came in the fourth inning, when Miguel Cabrera took Oakland starter Sonny Gray over the left field wall for a two-run home run. The blast scored Torii Hunter, who had managed the game’s first hit in the previous at-bat.
The third Detroit run was plated in the sixth inning on Omar Infante’s fielder’s choice ground out to third base off reliever Dan Otero, scoring Victor Martinez from third.
Gray was charged with three runs over his five innings, striking out three, walking four and giving up six hits.
For more on how the Red Sox matchup with the Tigers, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston