Justin Verlander helps make it official: Red Sox to take on Tigers in American League Championship Series
|10.10.13 at 11:34 pm ET|
Detroit, which claimed a 4-3 advantage over the Red Sox in the teams’ regular season series, travel from Oakland to Boston, where it will prepare for Game 1 at Fenway Park Saturday at 8:07 p.m.
The rest of the series will follow this schedule: Game 3, Tuesday at Detroit, 4:07 p.m.; Game 4, Wednesday at Detroit, 8:07 p.m.; Game 5, Thursday (if necessary) at Detroit, 8:07 p.m.; Game 6, Saturday, Oct. 19 (if necessary), at Boston, 4:37 p.m. (shifts to 8:07 p.m. if NLCS is completed); Game 7, Sunday, Oct. 20 (if necessary), at Boston, 8:07 p.m.
Verlander finished his night pitching eight innings, surrendering just two hits while striking out 10 and walking one.
The righty starter retired his first 16 batters before issuing a one-out walk to Josh Reddick in the sixth inning. Yoenis Cespedes notched the A’s first hit on a ground ball up the middle with two outs in the seventh inning.
The Tigers’ first offensive strike came in the fourth inning, when Miguel Cabrera took Oakland starter Sonny Gray over the left field wall for a two-run home run. The blast scored Torii Hunter, who had managed the game’s first hit in the previous at-bat.
The third Detroit run was plated in the sixth inning on Omar Infante’s fielder’s choice ground out to third base off reliever Dan Otero, scoring Victor Martinez from third.
Gray was charged with three runs over his five innings, striking out three, walking four and giving up six hits.
For more on how the Red Sox matchup with the Tigers, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven