Justin Verlander helps make it official: Red Sox to take on Tigers in American League Championship Series
|10.10.13 at 11:34 pm ET|
Detroit, which claimed a 4-3 advantage over the Red Sox in the teams’ regular season series, travel from Oakland to Boston, where it will prepare for Game 1 at Fenway Park Saturday at 8:07 p.m.
The rest of the series will follow this schedule: Game 3, Tuesday at Detroit, 4:07 p.m.; Game 4, Wednesday at Detroit, 8:07 p.m.; Game 5, Thursday (if necessary) at Detroit, 8:07 p.m.; Game 6, Saturday, Oct. 19 (if necessary), at Boston, 4:37 p.m. (shifts to 8:07 p.m. if NLCS is completed); Game 7, Sunday, Oct. 20 (if necessary), at Boston, 8:07 p.m.
Verlander finished his night pitching eight innings, surrendering just two hits while striking out 10 and walking one.
The righty starter retired his first 16 batters before issuing a one-out walk to Josh Reddick in the sixth inning. Yoenis Cespedes notched the A’s first hit on a ground ball up the middle with two outs in the seventh inning.
The Tigers’ first offensive strike came in the fourth inning, when Miguel Cabrera took Oakland starter Sonny Gray over the left field wall for a two-run home run. The blast scored Torii Hunter, who had managed the game’s first hit in the previous at-bat.
The third Detroit run was plated in the sixth inning on Omar Infante’s fielder’s choice ground out to third base off reliever Dan Otero, scoring Victor Martinez from third.
Gray was charged with three runs over his five innings, striking out three, walking four and giving up six hits.
For more on how the Red Sox matchup with the Tigers, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot