Justin Verlander helps make it official: Red Sox to take on Tigers in American League Championship Series
|10.10.13 at 11:34 pm ET|
Detroit, which claimed a 4-3 advantage over the Red Sox in the teams’ regular season series, travel from Oakland to Boston, where it will prepare for Game 1 at Fenway Park Saturday at 8:07 p.m.
The rest of the series will follow this schedule: Game 3, Tuesday at Detroit, 4:07 p.m.; Game 4, Wednesday at Detroit, 8:07 p.m.; Game 5, Thursday (if necessary) at Detroit, 8:07 p.m.; Game 6, Saturday, Oct. 19 (if necessary), at Boston, 4:37 p.m. (shifts to 8:07 p.m. if NLCS is completed); Game 7, Sunday, Oct. 20 (if necessary), at Boston, 8:07 p.m.
Verlander finished his night pitching eight innings, surrendering just two hits while striking out 10 and walking one.
The righty starter retired his first 16 batters before issuing a one-out walk to Josh Reddick in the sixth inning. Yoenis Cespedes notched the A’s first hit on a ground ball up the middle with two outs in the seventh inning.
The Tigers’ first offensive strike came in the fourth inning, when Miguel Cabrera took Oakland starter Sonny Gray over the left field wall for a two-run home run. The blast scored Torii Hunter, who had managed the game’s first hit in the previous at-bat.
The third Detroit run was plated in the sixth inning on Omar Infante’s fielder’s choice ground out to third base off reliever Dan Otero, scoring Victor Martinez from third.
Gray was charged with three runs over his five innings, striking out three, walking four and giving up six hits.
For more on how the Red Sox matchup with the Tigers, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Notes from the Field: Spruill, Marrero, Hernandez in Allentown
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!