Justin Verlander helps make it official: Red Sox to take on Tigers in American League Championship Series
|10.10.13 at 11:34 pm ET|
Detroit, which claimed a 4-3 advantage over the Red Sox in the teams’ regular season series, travel from Oakland to Boston, where it will prepare for Game 1 at Fenway Park Saturday at 8:07 p.m.
The rest of the series will follow this schedule: Game 3, Tuesday at Detroit, 4:07 p.m.; Game 4, Wednesday at Detroit, 8:07 p.m.; Game 5, Thursday (if necessary) at Detroit, 8:07 p.m.; Game 6, Saturday, Oct. 19 (if necessary), at Boston, 4:37 p.m. (shifts to 8:07 p.m. if NLCS is completed); Game 7, Sunday, Oct. 20 (if necessary), at Boston, 8:07 p.m.
Verlander finished his night pitching eight innings, surrendering just two hits while striking out 10 and walking one.
The righty starter retired his first 16 batters before issuing a one-out walk to Josh Reddick in the sixth inning. Yoenis Cespedes notched the A’s first hit on a ground ball up the middle with two outs in the seventh inning.
The Tigers’ first offensive strike came in the fourth inning, when Miguel Cabrera took Oakland starter Sonny Gray over the left field wall for a two-run home run. The blast scored Torii Hunter, who had managed the game’s first hit in the previous at-bat.
The third Detroit run was plated in the sixth inning on Omar Infante’s fielder’s choice ground out to third base off reliever Dan Otero, scoring Victor Martinez from third.
Gray was charged with three runs over his five innings, striking out three, walking four and giving up six hits.
For more on how the Red Sox matchup with the Tigers, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando