Red Sox to start Clay Buchholz in Game 2, John Lackey in Game 3 of ALCS vs. Tigers
|10.11.13 at 4:32 pm ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell said that after Jon Lester makes the Game 1 start in the best-of-seven American League Championship Series against the Tigers, the team will feature right-hander Clay Buchholz in Game 2 and John Lackey in Game 3, flip-flopping the two right-handers from the order in which they pitched in the Division Series. Jake Peavy is once again slated to start Game 4. Farrell suggested that Buchholz threw well in his Game 3 start against the Rays, and that while Lackey also ultimately earned a win, the Sox thought he might benefit from some side work, including pitching against some teammates in live batting practice on Friday.
Asked if he’d identified his starter at third base for Games 1 and 2 of the series, Farrell said that Will Middlebrooks would start Game 1, but then the team was contemplating the possibility of changing course (presumably, meaning the possibility of a playoff start for Xander Bogaerts) for Game 2, when Tigers right-hander Max Scherzer (against whom Middlebrooks is 1-for-6 with four strikeouts in his career — though with what proved to be the game-winning two-run single against him in September) will be on the mound.
“Based on some matchups, we’ve got some things that we’re looking at in a couple of different spots,” said Farrell.
It is worth noting that Middlebrooks is not alone in his struggles against Scherzer. Mike Napoli is 1-for-13 with one walk and five strikeouts against him; Daniel Nava is 1-for-9 with a walk and two strikeouts; Mike Carp is 2-for-8 with a walk and five strikeouts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off