Red Sox ALCS Game 1 lineup vs. Tigers: David Ross behind the plate for Jon Lester
|10.12.13 at 4:34 pm ET|
In a repetition of the pairing that led the Red Sox to a 2-1 victory over the Tigers (and, on that day, starter Max Scherzer) in early September, the Red Sox will once again pair catcher David Ross with Jon Lester for Game 1 of the best-of-seven American League Championship Series against the Tigers on Saturday. Ross — who caught Game 2 of the ALDS againt the Rays (a game started by John Lackey), will catch and bat ninth.
Ross does have some familiarity (if not success) against Tigers Game 1 starter Anibal Sanchez, having hit .182 with a .250 OBP and .455 slugging mark as well as a homer in 12 plate appearances against the former NL East foe. The Tigers, meanwhile, have six members of their starting lineup with career averages of .400 or better against Lester — perhaps explaining in part why Farrell wanted to build on the battery combination that yielded so much success in the final month of the regular season.
RED SOX LINEUP
Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
Shane Victorino, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Daniel Nava, LF
Stephen Drew, SS
Will Middlebrooks, 3B
David Ross, C
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies