Justin Verlander wary of Shane Victorino’s potential hit-by-pitch strategy
|10.14.13 at 7:02 pm ET|
DETROIT ‘ Speaking during his pre-start press conference Monday, Detroit hurler Justin Verlander was asked about the difficulty of pitching to Shane Victorino, who has already been hit by five pitches this postseason.
According to PitchFX, Victorino, who was plunked 18 times in the regular season, has only been hit by one pitch that would have been considered a strike.
Verlander, however, is going in with his eyes wide open.
‘I’ve seen some pitches that he got hit on that were strikes,’ Verlander said. ‘So, I mean, I don’t think you can worry about that. I think just whoever is the home plate umpire needs to be aware that he’s up there. Anything on the inner half occasionally he’s looking to get hit. He’s up there, he’s right on top of the plate. And his arms are over the batter’s box and over part of the plate. If he doesn’t get out of the way, there could be an occasion that it could be a strike and it actually hits him.
‘That’s something that I think that those guys are aware of. But you can’t think about not hitting a guy. You’ve got to think about executing your pitches and not changing anything because of that. And hopefully if something like that happens those guys are on top of it.’
Verlander finished the regular season hitting just four batters, having not dealt with such a situation since Aug. 11.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot