Justin Verlander wary of Shane Victorino’s potential hit-by-pitch strategy
|10.14.13 at 7:02 pm ET|
DETROIT ‘ Speaking during his pre-start press conference Monday, Detroit hurler Justin Verlander was asked about the difficulty of pitching to Shane Victorino, who has already been hit by five pitches this postseason.
According to PitchFX, Victorino, who was plunked 18 times in the regular season, has only been hit by one pitch that would have been considered a strike.
Verlander, however, is going in with his eyes wide open.
‘I’ve seen some pitches that he got hit on that were strikes,’ Verlander said. ‘So, I mean, I don’t think you can worry about that. I think just whoever is the home plate umpire needs to be aware that he’s up there. Anything on the inner half occasionally he’s looking to get hit. He’s up there, he’s right on top of the plate. And his arms are over the batter’s box and over part of the plate. If he doesn’t get out of the way, there could be an occasion that it could be a strike and it actually hits him.
‘That’s something that I think that those guys are aware of. But you can’t think about not hitting a guy. You’ve got to think about executing your pitches and not changing anything because of that. And hopefully if something like that happens those guys are on top of it.’
Verlander finished the regular season hitting just four batters, having not dealt with such a situation since Aug. 11.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system