Justin Verlander wary of Shane Victorino’s potential hit-by-pitch strategy
|10.14.13 at 7:02 pm ET|
DETROIT ‘ Speaking during his pre-start press conference Monday, Detroit hurler Justin Verlander was asked about the difficulty of pitching to Shane Victorino, who has already been hit by five pitches this postseason.
According to PitchFX, Victorino, who was plunked 18 times in the regular season, has only been hit by one pitch that would have been considered a strike.
Verlander, however, is going in with his eyes wide open.
‘I’ve seen some pitches that he got hit on that were strikes,’ Verlander said. ‘So, I mean, I don’t think you can worry about that. I think just whoever is the home plate umpire needs to be aware that he’s up there. Anything on the inner half occasionally he’s looking to get hit. He’s up there, he’s right on top of the plate. And his arms are over the batter’s box and over part of the plate. If he doesn’t get out of the way, there could be an occasion that it could be a strike and it actually hits him.
‘That’s something that I think that those guys are aware of. But you can’t think about not hitting a guy. You’ve got to think about executing your pitches and not changing anything because of that. And hopefully if something like that happens those guys are on top of it.’
Verlander finished the regular season hitting just four batters, having not dealt with such a situation since Aug. 11.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles