Justin Verlander wary of Shane Victorino’s potential hit-by-pitch strategy
|10.14.13 at 7:02 pm ET|
DETROIT ‘ Speaking during his pre-start press conference Monday, Detroit hurler Justin Verlander was asked about the difficulty of pitching to Shane Victorino, who has already been hit by five pitches this postseason.
According to PitchFX, Victorino, who was plunked 18 times in the regular season, has only been hit by one pitch that would have been considered a strike.
Verlander, however, is going in with his eyes wide open.
‘I’ve seen some pitches that he got hit on that were strikes,’ Verlander said. ‘So, I mean, I don’t think you can worry about that. I think just whoever is the home plate umpire needs to be aware that he’s up there. Anything on the inner half occasionally he’s looking to get hit. He’s up there, he’s right on top of the plate. And his arms are over the batter’s box and over part of the plate. If he doesn’t get out of the way, there could be an occasion that it could be a strike and it actually hits him.
‘That’s something that I think that those guys are aware of. But you can’t think about not hitting a guy. You’ve got to think about executing your pitches and not changing anything because of that. And hopefully if something like that happens those guys are on top of it.’
Verlander finished the regular season hitting just four batters, having not dealt with such a situation since Aug. 11.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Spring training games begin
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals