Daniel Nava expected to start against Doug Fister in Game 4
|10.15.13 at 9:26 pm ET|
Nava would be replacing Jonny Gomes, who notched the Sox’ first hit of the game with two outs in the fifth inning while also making a nice diving catch in left on seventh-inning liner off the bat of Prince Fielder.
The switch-hitting Nava is 5-for-12 in his career against Detroit’s Game 4 starter Doug Fister, while Gomes is 1-for-3 vs. the righty.
“Daniel has had good success against Fister,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said prior to Game 3. “There’s no guarantee that will be the case tomorrow. But also contemplating Daniel will have three days off leading into tomorrow and how does that affect his potential timing at the plate. There were a number of things we considered. But getting back to what’s most important, that’s today, and trying to get the best fit, the best matchup that we could come to.”
Gomes’ is 4-for-16 during the postseason, having scored four runs. Nava, who broke up the Tigers’ Game 1 no-hitter in Game 1, has played in three postseason games, going 2-for-8.
Tuesday, it was Gomes’ turn to break up a no-hitter, managing his fifth-inning infield single against Detroit starter Justin Verlander.
“Where’s there smoke there’s fire. Where there’s no smoke, there’s no fire,” Gomes said. “I didn’t think this team would have to scratch out the first hit in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings. But this is how this thing has been written up.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free! (close to goal)
- Cup of Coffee: Margot helps Portland earn split as part of crazy Monday schedule
- Weekly Notes: Top prospects on the move
- Cup of Coffee: Salem, Greenville bullpens fall apart, Pawtucket wins in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Margot homers in Hadlock debut
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon, Miller shine in Salem debuts
- Notes from the Field: Margot's Double-A debut and more
- Cup of Coffee: Portland welcomes new call-ups, Moncada has big night
- Dubon promoted to Salem, Jerez to Portland in series of roster moves
- Devers, Margot named to Futures Game roster