Daniel Nava expected to start against Doug Fister in Game 4
|10.15.13 at 9:26 pm ET|
Nava would be replacing Jonny Gomes, who notched the Sox’ first hit of the game with two outs in the fifth inning while also making a nice diving catch in left on seventh-inning liner off the bat of Prince Fielder.
The switch-hitting Nava is 5-for-12 in his career against Detroit’s Game 4 starter Doug Fister, while Gomes is 1-for-3 vs. the righty.
“Daniel has had good success against Fister,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said prior to Game 3. “There’s no guarantee that will be the case tomorrow. But also contemplating Daniel will have three days off leading into tomorrow and how does that affect his potential timing at the plate. There were a number of things we considered. But getting back to what’s most important, that’s today, and trying to get the best fit, the best matchup that we could come to.”
Gomes’ is 4-for-16 during the postseason, having scored four runs. Nava, who broke up the Tigers’ Game 1 no-hitter in Game 1, has played in three postseason games, going 2-for-8.
Tuesday, it was Gomes’ turn to break up a no-hitter, managing his fifth-inning infield single against Detroit starter Justin Verlander.
“Where’s there smoke there’s fire. Where there’s no smoke, there’s no fire,” Gomes said. “I didn’t think this team would have to scratch out the first hit in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings. But this is how this thing has been written up.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo