Daniel Nava expected to start against Doug Fister in Game 4
|10.15.13 at 9:26 pm ET|
DETROIT — According to a team source, Daniel Nava is slated to start in left field for the Red Sox in their Game 4 matchup with the Tigers at Comerica Park Wednesday night.
Nava would be replacing Jonny Gomes, who notched the Sox’ first hit of the game with two outs in the fifth inning while also making a nice diving catch in left on seventh-inning liner off the bat of Prince Fielder.
The switch-hitting Nava is 5-for-12 in his career against Detroit’s Game 4 starter Doug Fister, while Gomes is 1-for-3 vs. the righty.
“Daniel has had good success against Fister,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said prior to Game 3. “There’s no guarantee that will be the case tomorrow. But also contemplating Daniel will have three days off leading into tomorrow and how does that affect his potential timing at the plate. There were a number of things we considered. But getting back to what’s most important, that’s today, and trying to get the best fit, the best matchup that we could come to.”
Gomes’ is 4-for-16 during the postseason, having scored four runs. Nava, who broke up the Tigers’ Game 1 no-hitter in Game 1, has played in three postseason games, going 2-for-8.
Tuesday, it was Gomes’ turn to break up a no-hitter, managing his fifth-inning infield single against Detroit starter Justin Verlander.
“Where’s there smoke there’s fire. Where there’s no smoke, there’s no fire,” Gomes said. “I didn’t think this team would have to scratch out the first hit in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings. But this is how this thing has been written up.”
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder
- Cecchini, Ranaudo, Brentz added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox 40-man roster additions expected
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Surprise wins title, struggles continue for Webster