Daniel Nava expected to start against Doug Fister in Game 4
|10.15.13 at 9:26 pm ET|
Nava would be replacing Jonny Gomes, who notched the Sox’ first hit of the game with two outs in the fifth inning while also making a nice diving catch in left on seventh-inning liner off the bat of Prince Fielder.
The switch-hitting Nava is 5-for-12 in his career against Detroit’s Game 4 starter Doug Fister, while Gomes is 1-for-3 vs. the righty.
“Daniel has had good success against Fister,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said prior to Game 3. “There’s no guarantee that will be the case tomorrow. But also contemplating Daniel will have three days off leading into tomorrow and how does that affect his potential timing at the plate. There were a number of things we considered. But getting back to what’s most important, that’s today, and trying to get the best fit, the best matchup that we could come to.”
Gomes’ is 4-for-16 during the postseason, having scored four runs. Nava, who broke up the Tigers’ Game 1 no-hitter in Game 1, has played in three postseason games, going 2-for-8.
Tuesday, it was Gomes’ turn to break up a no-hitter, managing his fifth-inning infield single against Detroit starter Justin Verlander.
“Where’s there smoke there’s fire. Where there’s no smoke, there’s no fire,” Gomes said. “I didn’t think this team would have to scratch out the first hit in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings. But this is how this thing has been written up.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles