David Ortiz: Detroit starters ‘taking things to another level’
|10.17.13 at 3:06 am ET|
DETROIT ‘ David Ortiz wasn’t going to sugarcoat it.
‘Them’ were the Detroit starting pitchers, who, after Doug Fister‘s performance Wednesday night (6 IP, 0 R, 7 K, BB), have allowed three runs over 27 innings. They have struck out 42, walked just 10 and surrendered 14 hits.
‘The starting pitching has been outstanding,’ said Ortiz, who is just 1-for-15 in the series. ‘That guy [Fister] that started the game tonight, that was impressive. He was painting everything. His breaking ball was better than what I have ever seen. He was spotting his changeup. He was throwing the pitch he wanted in whatever count. There isn’t any better than that.
‘This is playoffs. Everybody brings their best. The way they’ve been pitching is a whole totally different game. They’re taking things to another level, which is what you’re supposed to do in the playoffs. It’s not like you have too much room in the playoffs. You definitely have to try and keep the score close.’
So what is it, the scouting reports?
‘Scouting has something to do with it, but scouting reports don’t pitch out there,’ Ortiz said. ‘You listen to the scouting reports and then you have to execute, and they’re executing perfectly fine.
‘They’re pitching well. That’s all I can tell you. They’re throwing the ball where they want to, in the situation they want to and not making mistakes.’
But now comes the next time through the rotation.
With the Red Sox getting their second shot at Sanchez ‘ who pitched six hitless innings in Game 1 ‘ Ortiz and Co. do carry some optimism heading into their latest shot at proving this rotation is mortal.
‘Just because I’m saying they’re good doesn’t mean it’s over,’ the DH said. ‘We’re going to come back and play tomorrow. I give credit to whoever deserves it. They deserve credit. They’ve been pitching their [butts] off. There’s nothing to do but come back and compete tomorrow.’
Finally, Ortiz added, ‘Even Steven right now. Nobody’s out. We have two more (wins) to go and we’ll try to win it.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates