Red Sox ALCS Game 5 lineup: Xander Bogaerts at third base against Tigers starter Anibal Sanchez
|10.17.13 at 4:03 pm ET|
DETROIT — With the Red Sox starved for offense against a Detroit rotation that has a 1.00 ERA with 14.0 strikeouts per nine innings through the first four games of the best-of-seven American League Championship Series, the Sox have inserted 21-year-old Xander Bogaerts into the lineup for Game 5 as they try to solve the riddle of right-hander Anibal Sanchez, who fired six no-hit innings against them in Game 1 of the series.
Bogaerts has stepped to the plate four times this postseason, drawing two walks, lining a double to right-field against Tigers closer Joaquin Benoit on Wednesday (in the process becoming the youngest Red Sox ever to deliver a postseason hit) and flying out on a full-count offering by Benoit to end Game 1. Middlebrooks, meanwhile, is 1-for-10 with a double and five strikeouts in the ALCS and 4-for-23 with two doubles, three walks and nine strikeouts in 27 total plate appearances in the postseason.
Jonny Gomes is in the lineup in left field, with Daniel Nava — the only Sox player to collect a hit in the game started by Sanchez — sitting. David Ross is once again behind the plate and paired with starter Jon Lester.
RED SOX LINEUP
Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
Shane Victorino, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
Stephen Drew, SS
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
David Ross, C
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday