Red Sox ALCS Game 5 lineup: Xander Bogaerts at third base against Tigers starter Anibal Sanchez
|10.17.13 at 4:03 pm ET|
DETROIT — With the Red Sox starved for offense against a Detroit rotation that has a 1.00 ERA with 14.0 strikeouts per nine innings through the first four games of the best-of-seven American League Championship Series, the Sox have inserted 21-year-old Xander Bogaerts into the lineup for Game 5 as they try to solve the riddle of right-hander Anibal Sanchez, who fired six no-hit innings against them in Game 1 of the series.
Bogaerts has stepped to the plate four times this postseason, drawing two walks, lining a double to right-field against Tigers closer Joaquin Benoit on Wednesday (in the process becoming the youngest Red Sox ever to deliver a postseason hit) and flying out on a full-count offering by Benoit to end Game 1. Middlebrooks, meanwhile, is 1-for-10 with a double and five strikeouts in the ALCS and 4-for-23 with two doubles, three walks and nine strikeouts in 27 total plate appearances in the postseason.
Jonny Gomes is in the lineup in left field, with Daniel Nava — the only Sox player to collect a hit in the game started by Sanchez — sitting. David Ross is once again behind the plate and paired with starter Jon Lester.
RED SOX LINEUP
Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
Shane Victorino, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
Stephen Drew, SS
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
David Ross, C
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins