Red Sox ALCS Game 5 lineup: Xander Bogaerts at third base against Tigers starter Anibal Sanchez
|10.17.13 at 4:03 pm ET|
DETROIT — With the Red Sox starved for offense against a Detroit rotation that has a 1.00 ERA with 14.0 strikeouts per nine innings through the first four games of the best-of-seven American League Championship Series, the Sox have inserted 21-year-old Xander Bogaerts into the lineup for Game 5 as they try to solve the riddle of right-hander Anibal Sanchez, who fired six no-hit innings against them in Game 1 of the series.
Bogaerts has stepped to the plate four times this postseason, drawing two walks, lining a double to right-field against Tigers closer Joaquin Benoit on Wednesday (in the process becoming the youngest Red Sox ever to deliver a postseason hit) and flying out on a full-count offering by Benoit to end Game 1. Middlebrooks, meanwhile, is 1-for-10 with a double and five strikeouts in the ALCS and 4-for-23 with two doubles, three walks and nine strikeouts in 27 total plate appearances in the postseason.
Jonny Gomes is in the lineup in left field, with Daniel Nava — the only Sox player to collect a hit in the game started by Sanchez — sitting. David Ross is once again behind the plate and paired with starter Jon Lester.
RED SOX LINEUP
Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
Shane Victorino, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
Stephen Drew, SS
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
David Ross, C
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster