Will Middlebrooks ‘not real happy’ about sitting in Game 5
|10.17.13 at 8:20 pm ET|
DETROIT — Red Sox manager John Farrell noted that, even though Xander Bogaerts will start at third base in place of Will Middlebrooks in Game 5 of the American League Championship Series, he believes that the deposed starter could still contribute going forward. Even so, Farrell acknowledged that while that was a message he offered to Middlebrooks — who is 1-for-10 with five strikeouts in the first four games of the series — the third baseman wasn’t exactly elated to be sitting. Not that the Red Sox would want him to be.
“I wouldn’t expect him to be pleased with not being in the lineup today. That’s just who he is. And that’s the overriding attitude in our clubhouse,” said Farrell. “But for us to continue through this series and advance it’s going to take everyone on our roster to contribute in some form or fashion, and I would expect that Will would find his way back in the field in these remaining games, particularly in this series. In the conversation with him, yeah, he’s not real happy.”
Farrell suggested that, against Detroit’s all right-handed rotation where each starter features nasty breaking stuff, Middlebrooks was struggling.
“From time to time in these two series, he’s been a little susceptible to off’speed and certainly some breaking balls that have run away from him,” said Farrell.
That, in turn, left the team inclined to go with Bogaerts, who in his few postseason at-bats has shown the ability to lay off breaking stuff out of the zone.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs