Will Middlebrooks ‘not real happy’ about sitting in Game 5
|10.17.13 at 8:20 pm ET|
DETROIT — Red Sox manager John Farrell noted that, even though Xander Bogaerts will start at third base in place of Will Middlebrooks in Game 5 of the American League Championship Series, he believes that the deposed starter could still contribute going forward. Even so, Farrell acknowledged that while that was a message he offered to Middlebrooks — who is 1-for-10 with five strikeouts in the first four games of the series — the third baseman wasn’t exactly elated to be sitting. Not that the Red Sox would want him to be.
“I wouldn’t expect him to be pleased with not being in the lineup today. That’s just who he is. And that’s the overriding attitude in our clubhouse,” said Farrell. “But for us to continue through this series and advance it’s going to take everyone on our roster to contribute in some form or fashion, and I would expect that Will would find his way back in the field in these remaining games, particularly in this series. In the conversation with him, yeah, he’s not real happy.”
Farrell suggested that, against Detroit’s all right-handed rotation where each starter features nasty breaking stuff, Middlebrooks was struggling.
“From time to time in these two series, he’s been a little susceptible to off’speed and certainly some breaking balls that have run away from him,” said Farrell.
That, in turn, left the team inclined to go with Bogaerts, who in his few postseason at-bats has shown the ability to lay off breaking stuff out of the zone.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort