Will Middlebrooks ‘not real happy’ about sitting in Game 5
|10.17.13 at 8:20 pm ET|
DETROIT — Red Sox manager John Farrell noted that, even though Xander Bogaerts will start at third base in place of Will Middlebrooks in Game 5 of the American League Championship Series, he believes that the deposed starter could still contribute going forward. Even so, Farrell acknowledged that while that was a message he offered to Middlebrooks — who is 1-for-10 with five strikeouts in the first four games of the series — the third baseman wasn’t exactly elated to be sitting. Not that the Red Sox would want him to be.
“I wouldn’t expect him to be pleased with not being in the lineup today. That’s just who he is. And that’s the overriding attitude in our clubhouse,” said Farrell. “But for us to continue through this series and advance it’s going to take everyone on our roster to contribute in some form or fashion, and I would expect that Will would find his way back in the field in these remaining games, particularly in this series. In the conversation with him, yeah, he’s not real happy.”
Farrell suggested that, against Detroit’s all right-handed rotation where each starter features nasty breaking stuff, Middlebrooks was struggling.
“From time to time in these two series, he’s been a little susceptible to off’speed and certainly some breaking balls that have run away from him,” said Farrell.
That, in turn, left the team inclined to go with Bogaerts, who in his few postseason at-bats has shown the ability to lay off breaking stuff out of the zone.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez gets into a groove, Basabe impresses
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Dayan Diaz and Edwin Escobar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen