John Farrell: Xander Bogaerts back at third base for Game 6
|10.18.13 at 4:25 pm ET|
Speaking to the media prior to his team’s workout at Fenway Park Friday afternoon, Red Sox manager John Farrell confirmed that Xander Bogaerts will make his second straight start at third base when the Sox look to clinch their best-of-seven American League Championship Series with Detroit.
Bogaerts, who notched a hit and a walk during the Red Sox’ Game 5 win, replaces Will Middlebrooks. Middlebrooks entered the game Thursday night as a pinch-runner for Bogaerts, going from first to third on a David Ross sacrifice bunt.
One player who will remain in the lineup despite his struggles is shortstop Stephen Drew. Drew is 1-for-17 with eight strikeouts in the ALCS.
Farrell noted that Shane Victorino — who is also mired in a slump (2-for-21 in ALCS) — will remain in the lineup’s No. 2 spot.
Jonny Gomes will get the start in left.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa