John Farrell: Xander Bogaerts back at third base for Game 6
|10.18.13 at 4:25 pm ET|
Speaking to the media prior to his team’s workout at Fenway Park Friday afternoon, Red Sox manager John Farrell confirmed that Xander Bogaerts will make his second straight start at third base when the Sox look to clinch their best-of-seven American League Championship Series with Detroit.
Bogaerts, who notched a hit and a walk during the Red Sox’ Game 5 win, replaces Will Middlebrooks. Middlebrooks entered the game Thursday night as a pinch-runner for Bogaerts, going from first to third on a David Ross sacrifice bunt.
One player who will remain in the lineup despite his struggles is shortstop Stephen Drew. Drew is 1-for-17 with eight strikeouts in the ALCS.
Farrell noted that Shane Victorino — who is also mired in a slump (2-for-21 in ALCS) — will remain in the lineup’s No. 2 spot.
Jonny Gomes will get the start in left.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Sam Travis out for season with torn ACL
- Cup of Coffee: Gunsolus, Ray power Greenville to win
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi, Devers record multi-hit games
- Cup of Coffee: Almonte throws six no-hit innings
- Cup of Coffee: Owens, others struggle on mound
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem