John Farrell: Xander Bogaerts back at third base for Game 6
|10.18.13 at 4:25 pm ET|
Speaking to the media prior to his team’s workout at Fenway Park Friday afternoon, Red Sox manager John Farrell confirmed that Xander Bogaerts will make his second straight start at third base when the Sox look to clinch their best-of-seven American League Championship Series with Detroit.
Bogaerts, who notched a hit and a walk during the Red Sox’ Game 5 win, replaces Will Middlebrooks. Middlebrooks entered the game Thursday night as a pinch-runner for Bogaerts, going from first to third on a David Ross sacrifice bunt.
One player who will remain in the lineup despite his struggles is shortstop Stephen Drew. Drew is 1-for-17 with eight strikeouts in the ALCS.
Farrell noted that Shane Victorino — who is also mired in a slump (2-for-21 in ALCS) — will remain in the lineup’s No. 2 spot.
Jonny Gomes will get the start in left.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia
- Betts, Castillo highlight Red Sox Rookie Development Program participants