Torii Hunter: Tigers are ‘going to fight through’
|10.18.13 at 5:50 am ET|
DETROIT — After their 4-3 loss on Thursday in Game 5 of the best-of-seven American League Championship Series, the Tigers are now one win from elimination. The Red Sox need to win just one of two contests this weekend in Boston to secure a spot in the World Series.
But Tigers outfielder Torii Hunter suggested that his team is in a position to play without being encumbered by pressure or anxiety.
“If you had a tiger, and he was backed in a corner, he couldn’t go left, he couldn’t go right, he couldn’t go behind him, what’s he going to do? Fight through,” said Hunter. “And that’s what we’re going to try to do. That’s what Tigers do. Our backs are against the wall. We can’t go left, we can’t go right, we’re going to fight through.
“The pressure is on them to hold us back. We’re going to fight, we’re going to have fun, we’re going to go all out,” he added. “When we play looser, we’re a really good ballclub. So being down 3-2, I think you go in a little light, a little looser, you have some fun, play the game. It’s an uphill battle, but I think it’s good for us.”
The Tigers do have a formidable asset on their side in the form of starters Max Scherzer in Game 6 and, if they win that contest, Justin Verlander in Game 7. The Red Sox are mindful of that reality as they hope to close out the Tigers.
“They’re really good. They’ve got two really good pitchers still in their back pocket, so we need to come out, set the tone early,” said Sox catcher David Ross. “We’re just happy to be going back home up one.”
Yet while Scherzer and Verlander offer the Tigers a template for overcoming their deficit, Detroit suggested that they do not yet have the luxury of looking ahead to a winner-take-all contest with Verlander on the hill.
“We have to win one game and then take it from there,” said Tigers manager Jim Leyland. “We’ve got to win one game.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven