Red Sox ALCS Game 6 lineup: Xander Bogaerts, Jonny Gomes in against Tigers starter Max Scherzer
|10.19.13 at 4:52 pm ET|
The Red Sox, up 3-2 in the best-of-seven American League Championship Series, will once again feature Xander Bogaerts at third base and Jonny Gomes in left field as they look to secure a berth in the World Series with a victory against the Tigers and starter Max Scherzer.
Gomes started over Daniel Nava with Scherzer starting in Game 2 of the ALCS, a reflection of Nava’s struggles (1-for-9) against the likely 2013 AL Cy Young winner. Bogaerts, meanwhile, gets his second straight start at third base in the ALCS, with the Sox feeling that his ability to lay off tough breaking balls offers a better chance for success in this series given the struggles of Will Middlebrooks against the Tigers’ sliders. (Middlebrooks is 1-for-8 with six strikeouts in his career against Scherzer.)
Whereas the Sox turned to Mike Carp at first base in Game 2 of the ALCS, on Saturday, they will feature Mike Napoli at his customary spot in deference to his offensive impact over the last three games, in which he’s delivered two homers and four extra-base hits. Meanwhile, Jarrod Saltalamacchia will be behind the plate for Clay Buchholz, who is still looking to earn his first career playoff victory after no-decisions in the 2009 ALDS, 2013 ALDS and Game 2 against Scherzer (when he permitted a season-high five runs but was taken off the hook when the Sox rallied for thier 6-5 walkoff win).
The Tigers will stick with the lineup they employed in Games 4 and 5 in Detroit, with catcher Alex Avila in the lineup after suffering a patellar tendon strain in Game 5.
RED SOX LINEUP
Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
Shane Victorino, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C
Jonny Gomes, LF
Stephen Drew, SS
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
Clay Buchholz, SP
Torii Hunter, RF
Miguel Cabrera, 3B
Prince Fielder, 1B
Victor Martinez, DH
Jhonny Peralta, LF
Alex Avila, C
Omar Infante, 2B
Austin Jackson, CF
Jose Iglesias, SS
Max Scherzer, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption
- Support SoxProspects in 2017