John Henry: Red Sox thought about making Theo Epstein president, Ben Cherington GM
|10.21.13 at 2:18 pm ET|
Henry revealed that Ben Cherington, who took over the general manager position in 2012 after Theo Epstein left for the Cubs, was being groomed for the position, and that Boston had a plan that would have paired Cherington and Epstein together in the front office.
‘We knew for years that [Cherington] was going to be our next general manager,’ Henry said. ‘At one point we’d even talked about Theo becoming president, allowing Ben to become general manager.’
That plan never materialized, as Epstein became president of the Cubs in 2012, and Larry Lucchino remained the team president, while Cherington slid into the position vacated by Epstein.
‘We made a decision where we were going to concentrate on having more depth,’ said Henry, before the Red Sox’ Game 6 ALCS win that sent Boston to the World Series. ‘Instead of spending 20 or 25 million dollars for a player, we’re going to go out and get two or three players.’
‘We thought we would be in position, and we thought we’d have the pitching, especially after we acquired Jake, I think we really thought we’d have the pitching to go through this playoff if everyone is healthy. And they’re healthy,’ Henry said.
‘So many of the players have talked about the first day of spring training, and for me, it began about that time, where I realized he was much more a take-charge guy than I had realized, that he really did have a strong presence with everybody from coaches to players and on up the line,’ Henry said.
Henry talked about the excitement of the 2013 Red Sox team and compared it to 2007, when Boston won its second World Series title in four years.
‘The last time we had that feeling of really euphoria was 2007,” Henry said. “It’s been a long time.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela