John Henry: Red Sox thought about making Theo Epstein president, Ben Cherington GM
|10.21.13 at 2:18 pm ET|
Henry revealed that Ben Cherington, who took over the general manager position in 2012 after Theo Epstein left for the Cubs, was being groomed for the position, and that Boston had a plan that would have paired Cherington and Epstein together in the front office.
‘We knew for years that [Cherington] was going to be our next general manager,’ Henry said. ‘At one point we’d even talked about Theo becoming president, allowing Ben to become general manager.’
That plan never materialized, as Epstein became president of the Cubs in 2012, and Larry Lucchino remained the team president, while Cherington slid into the position vacated by Epstein.
‘We made a decision where we were going to concentrate on having more depth,’ said Henry, before the Red Sox’ Game 6 ALCS win that sent Boston to the World Series. ‘Instead of spending 20 or 25 million dollars for a player, we’re going to go out and get two or three players.’
‘We thought we would be in position, and we thought we’d have the pitching, especially after we acquired Jake, I think we really thought we’d have the pitching to go through this playoff if everyone is healthy. And they’re healthy,’ Henry said.
‘So many of the players have talked about the first day of spring training, and for me, it began about that time, where I realized he was much more a take-charge guy than I had realized, that he really did have a strong presence with everybody from coaches to players and on up the line,’ Henry said.
Henry talked about the excitement of the 2013 Red Sox team and compared it to 2007, when Boston won its second World Series title in four years.
‘The last time we had that feeling of really euphoria was 2007,” Henry said. “It’s been a long time.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin
- Podcast Ep. 88: Breaking down the Kimbrel trade